Dec 28, 2013, 8:58 AM EDT
Chris Volstad signed a minor league deal with the Angels back in November, but it sounds like he won’t actually throw a pitch for the team.
Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register has confirmed that Volstad is expected to be released by the Angels so that he can sign with a team in the Korean Baseball Organization. Dan Kurtz of MyKBO.net reported earlier this week that the 27-year-old right-hander was close to signing with the Doosan Bears.
Volstad, a 2005 first round pick of the Marlins, owns a 4.94 ERA over 123 starts and seven relief appearances in the majors. He had two brief stints with the Rockies this past season, but spent the majority of the year in Triple-A.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 14
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 17
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 91
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8