Dec 28, 2013, 8:58 AM EDT
Chris Volstad signed a minor league deal with the Angels back in November, but it sounds like he won’t actually throw a pitch for the team.
Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register has confirmed that Volstad is expected to be released by the Angels so that he can sign with a team in the Korean Baseball Organization. Dan Kurtz of MyKBO.net reported earlier this week that the 27-year-old right-hander was close to signing with the Doosan Bears.
Volstad, a 2005 first round pick of the Marlins, owns a 4.94 ERA over 123 starts and seven relief appearances in the majors. He had two brief stints with the Rockies this past season, but spent the majority of the year in Triple-A.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)