Dec 28, 2013, 8:58 AM EDT
Chris Volstad signed a minor league deal with the Angels back in November, but it sounds like he won’t actually throw a pitch for the team.
Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register has confirmed that Volstad is expected to be released by the Angels so that he can sign with a team in the Korean Baseball Organization. Dan Kurtz of MyKBO.net reported earlier this week that the 27-year-old right-hander was close to signing with the Doosan Bears.
Volstad, a 2005 first round pick of the Marlins, owns a 4.94 ERA over 123 starts and seven relief appearances in the majors. He had two brief stints with the Rockies this past season, but spent the majority of the year in Triple-A.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 22
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 81
- The Lester trade is a win-win 110
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (110)