Dec 28, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
28-year-old lefty Cory Luebke is working his way back from Tommy John surgery. Rather than return to the starting rotation, where he was when he was injured early in 2012, Padres GM Josh Byrnes suggested that Luebke could contribute out of the bullpen, according to Corey Brock on Twitter. The Padres are still looking for a lefty reliever.
Luebke started the 2011 season contributing out of the ‘pen, posting a 3.23 ERA in 39 innings. He was then moved into the starting rotation, compiling a 3.31 ERA in 100.2 innings spanning 17 starts through the end of the season. In the only five starts he made in 2012, Luebke posted a 2.61 ERA in 31 innings of work.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (84)