Dec 28, 2013, 7:30 PM EST
In today’s mailbag column, Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer writes that both the Indians and starter Justin Masterson appear to be receptive to the idea of a contract extension. Masterson, who turns 29 in March, is eligible for arbitration for the third time and can become a free agent after the 2014 season.
Since joining the Indians’ starting rotation full-time in 2010, Masterson has been equal parts productive and frustrating. In 2010 and ’12, he finished with a 4.70 and 4.93 ERA, respectively; in ’11 and ’13, he finished at 3.21 and 3.45. This past season, he set a career high strikeout rate at 24 percent.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)