Dec 28, 2013, 5:12 PM EDT
Benoit is guaranteed $15.5 million over the life of the contract. According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, the deal includes an $8 million vesting option for 2016 if he reaches 55 games finished in 2015.
Benoit, 36, emerged as the closer for the Tigers this past season while posting a 2.01 ERA and 73/22 K/BB ratio over 67 innings. However, he’ll help set up for Huston Street in San Diego.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)