Dec 28, 2013, 5:12 PM EDT
Benoit is guaranteed $15.5 million over the life of the contract. According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, the deal includes an $8 million vesting option for 2016 if he reaches 55 games finished in 2015.
Benoit, 36, emerged as the closer for the Tigers this past season while posting a 2.01 ERA and 73/22 K/BB ratio over 67 innings. However, he’ll help set up for Huston Street in San Diego.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 9
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 161
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 69
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (161)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)