Dec 28, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
In last week’s edition, Jack Morris was “never once not the best pitcher on the mound” according to Bill Madden of the New York Daily News. Jerry Green has managed to exceed that amount of hyperbole though in his latest column for The Detroit News. Green argues that Morris will likely miss out on being inducted in his 15th and final year on the ballot due to “prejudice and misunderstanding”. The full quote:
But the other day, I checked the box next his name on my Hall of Fame ballot for the 15th — and final — time and dropped it into a mailbox. He is bound to fail again — kept out of his deserved spot in Cooperstown by prejudice and misunderstanding by the voting members of the Baseball Writers Association of America. He moves on to be judged by a Veterans Committee in a few years.
Green follows up with a rant about the eroding meaning of the Hall of Fame voting process and suggests that the anonymous person who sold his vote to Deadspin is a traitor, joking that he should be punished by a firing squad.
Great effort, gang. We have always been at war with Eastasia.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 6
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 4
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)