Dec 28, 2013, 10:15 PM EST
In last week’s edition, Jack Morris was “never once not the best pitcher on the mound” according to Bill Madden of the New York Daily News. Jerry Green has managed to exceed that amount of hyperbole though in his latest column for The Detroit News. Green argues that Morris will likely miss out on being inducted in his 15th and final year on the ballot due to “prejudice and misunderstanding”. The full quote:
But the other day, I checked the box next his name on my Hall of Fame ballot for the 15th — and final — time and dropped it into a mailbox. He is bound to fail again — kept out of his deserved spot in Cooperstown by prejudice and misunderstanding by the voting members of the Baseball Writers Association of America. He moves on to be judged by a Veterans Committee in a few years.
Green follows up with a rant about the eroding meaning of the Hall of Fame voting process and suggests that the anonymous person who sold his vote to Deadspin is a traitor, joking that he should be punished by a firing squad.
Great effort, gang. We have always been at war with Eastasia.
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 47
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 21
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)