Dec 28, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
In last week’s edition, Jack Morris was “never once not the best pitcher on the mound” according to Bill Madden of the New York Daily News. Jerry Green has managed to exceed that amount of hyperbole though in his latest column for The Detroit News. Green argues that Morris will likely miss out on being inducted in his 15th and final year on the ballot due to “prejudice and misunderstanding”. The full quote:
But the other day, I checked the box next his name on my Hall of Fame ballot for the 15th — and final — time and dropped it into a mailbox. He is bound to fail again — kept out of his deserved spot in Cooperstown by prejudice and misunderstanding by the voting members of the Baseball Writers Association of America. He moves on to be judged by a Veterans Committee in a few years.
Green follows up with a rant about the eroding meaning of the Hall of Fame voting process and suggests that the anonymous person who sold his vote to Deadspin is a traitor, joking that he should be punished by a firing squad.
Great effort, gang. We have always been at war with Eastasia.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)