Dec 29, 2013, 11:58 AM EDT
From Nick Cafardo’s Sunday notes column in the Boston Globe:
Johan Santana, LHP, free agent — Santana is getting closer to making a decision on a minor league deal with a team. There’s been some speculation about the Twins since Santana still resides in Fort Myers, Fla., where the Twins have spring training. The Red Sox, who also train in Fort Myers, passed. But a small-market team such as the Astros could also have some interest. Santana is just trying to get back pitching and prove himself again.
The Pirates, Yankees, Twins, Rays, Orioles and Brewers are among the teams that have been linked to Santana this winter.
The 34-year-old left-hander spent the entire 2013 season recovering from reconstructive shoulder surgery and had a pedestrian 4.85 ERA in 117 innings with the Mets in 2012, but he was one of the best starting pitchers in Major League Baseball between 2002 and 2010 and he is expected to carry a clean bill of health into the 2014 campaign. Santana just wrapped up a massive six-year, $137.5 million pact with the Mets.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)