Dec 29, 2013, 11:58 AM EDT
From Nick Cafardo’s Sunday notes column in the Boston Globe:
Johan Santana, LHP, free agent — Santana is getting closer to making a decision on a minor league deal with a team. There’s been some speculation about the Twins since Santana still resides in Fort Myers, Fla., where the Twins have spring training. The Red Sox, who also train in Fort Myers, passed. But a small-market team such as the Astros could also have some interest. Santana is just trying to get back pitching and prove himself again.
The Pirates, Yankees, Twins, Rays, Orioles and Brewers are among the teams that have been linked to Santana this winter.
The 34-year-old left-hander spent the entire 2013 season recovering from reconstructive shoulder surgery and had a pedestrian 4.85 ERA in 117 innings with the Mets in 2012, but he was one of the best starting pitchers in Major League Baseball between 2002 and 2010 and he is expected to carry a clean bill of health into the 2014 campaign. Santana just wrapped up a massive six-year, $137.5 million pact with the Mets.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 62
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 41
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)