Dec 29, 2013, 11:58 AM EDT
From Nick Cafardo’s Sunday notes column in the Boston Globe:
Johan Santana, LHP, free agent — Santana is getting closer to making a decision on a minor league deal with a team. There’s been some speculation about the Twins since Santana still resides in Fort Myers, Fla., where the Twins have spring training. The Red Sox, who also train in Fort Myers, passed. But a small-market team such as the Astros could also have some interest. Santana is just trying to get back pitching and prove himself again.
The Pirates, Yankees, Twins, Rays, Orioles and Brewers are among the teams that have been linked to Santana this winter.
The 34-year-old left-hander spent the entire 2013 season recovering from reconstructive shoulder surgery and had a pedestrian 4.85 ERA in 117 innings with the Mets in 2012, but he was one of the best starting pitchers in Major League Baseball between 2002 and 2010 and he is expected to carry a clean bill of health into the 2014 campaign. Santana just wrapped up a massive six-year, $137.5 million pact with the Mets.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 23
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 34
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 40
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)