Dec 29, 2013, 11:58 AM EDT
From Nick Cafardo’s Sunday notes column in the Boston Globe:
Johan Santana, LHP, free agent — Santana is getting closer to making a decision on a minor league deal with a team. There’s been some speculation about the Twins since Santana still resides in Fort Myers, Fla., where the Twins have spring training. The Red Sox, who also train in Fort Myers, passed. But a small-market team such as the Astros could also have some interest. Santana is just trying to get back pitching and prove himself again.
The Pirates, Yankees, Twins, Rays, Orioles and Brewers are among the teams that have been linked to Santana this winter.
The 34-year-old left-hander spent the entire 2013 season recovering from reconstructive shoulder surgery and had a pedestrian 4.85 ERA in 117 innings with the Mets in 2012, but he was one of the best starting pitchers in Major League Baseball between 2002 and 2010 and he is expected to carry a clean bill of health into the 2014 campaign. Santana just wrapped up a massive six-year, $137.5 million pact with the Mets.
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 21
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 24
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)