Dec 29, 2013, 3:01 PM EST
The Cubs, Yankees, Dodgers, Diamondbacks and Angels are the major league teams that have been linked most frequently to Japanese starter Masahiro Tanaka, who officially began accepting bids last Thursday and will continue to accept them until 5:00 p.m. EST on January 24. But with the new posting system allowing for much more anonymity, there are a number of potential darkhorse clubs. Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe suggests in his Sunday notes column that the Red Sox might be one of them:
Should the Red Sox get into the Masahiro Tanaka hunt? The 25-year-old Rakuten Golden Eagles righthander, who was 24-0 in the regular season in 2013, was posted and teams have begun to bid the new maximum $20 million fee. The Red Sox are the least mentioned big-market team, but don’t be surprised if they quietly slip into this. One American League scout suggested it’s the perfect time for the Red Sox to strike. “They have veteran pitchers in the final year or two years remaining on their deals,” he said. “They’ll be clearing out a lot of payroll soon. I know they feel they have good young pitching on the horizon, but Tanaka should be a very good No. 2 or No. 3 starter on any staff. I would think with their emphasis on pitching, they would get into it.”
Given the deep pockets of the clubs involved and the lack of high-impact pitching available on the free agent market this winter, Tanaka is expected to command over $100 million in guaranteed money. The new posting system rules — which allow Tanaka to negotiate freely with all interested teams — will only help that cause.
Nov 25, 2014, 7:51 PM EST
Arizona has been mentioned before as a potential landing spot for Cuban outfielder Yasmany Tomas, but it was never really considered a strong likelihood. Maybe that perception should be changing …
Nov 25, 2014, 6:38 PM EST
The Red Sox have officially introduced Hanley Ramirez and his new four-year, $88 million pact. Juan Francisco was DFA’d in the process.
Nov 25, 2014, 5:40 PM EST
Darvish missed the final six weeks of the season with an elbow injury.
Nov 25, 2014, 5:25 PM EST
Possibly well-intentioned, possibly grandstanding. But it’s hard to see how this is in Congress’ bailiwick.
Nov 25, 2014, 4:46 PM EST
What would happen to Lonnie Chisenhall?
Nov 25, 2014, 3:46 PM EST
Based on what we know at the moment, the Cubs’ offer is the richest one out there.
Nov 25, 2014, 3:15 PM EST
Swarzak was due for a raise to around $1.5 million via arbitration.
Nov 25, 2014, 3:03 PM EST
Technology itself hasn’t changed how reporters do their jobs. Rather reader demand, newly obvious by technology, has done so.
Nov 25, 2014, 1:47 PM EST
Matsuzaka spent the past two seasons with the Mets.
Nov 25, 2014, 1:20 PM EST
Martinez served as Joe Maddon’s right-hand man since 2008.
Nov 25, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
They’ve been linked to Justin Upton and Matt Kemp. But another power bat is a possibility.
Nov 25, 2014, 12:46 PM EST
Lavarnway was once a top-100 prospect.
Nov 25, 2014, 12:15 PM EST
Breslow spent the past three seasons with the Red Sox.
Nov 25, 2014, 11:31 AM EST
Included: Fred and Jeff.
Nov 25, 2014, 11:03 AM EST
At least to the extent you still have them. Because it ain’t happening.
Nov 25, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
The first rule of Hall of Fame Ballot Club: Use all ten slots on your ballot. The second rule of Hall of Fame Ballot Club: USE ALL TEN SLOTS ON YOUR BALLOT.
Nov 25, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Nelson was the ninth overall pick in the 2004 draft.
Nov 25, 2014, 9:55 AM EST
The Padres are sniffing around too.
Nov 25, 2014, 9:30 AM EST
2015 is a big, big year for Yoenis Cespedes. And two other teams’ 2015 seasons will ride, directly or indirectly, on his value.
Nov 25, 2014, 9:02 AM EST
The press conference will come later today.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 13
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 46
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (134)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)