Dec 29, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
The Royals announced Saturday on their official Twitter feed that they have reached agreement on minor league contracts with infielder Jason Donald and outfielder Melky Mesa. No word on whether those deals include spring training invitations.
Donald did not make an appearance at the major league level in 2013 and batted just .219 with a .586 OPS in 271 plate appearances for the Reds’ Triple-A affiliate in Louisville, Kentucky. He’s 29 years old.
Mesa, 26, appeared in five games last year with the Yankees but spent the majority of the summer at Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, where he hit .261/.295/.452 with 13 home runs and 13 steals.
These are purely organizational depth signings for Kansas City.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (306)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (121)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)