Royals sign Jason Donald and Melky Mesa

Dec 29, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT

royals logo Getty Images

The Royals announced Saturday on their official Twitter feed that they have reached agreement on minor league contracts with infielder Jason Donald and outfielder Melky Mesa. No word on whether those deals include spring training invitations.

Donald did not make an appearance at the major league level in 2013 and batted just .219 with a .586 OPS in 271 plate appearances for the Reds’ Triple-A affiliate in Louisville, Kentucky. He’s 29 years old.

Mesa, 26, appeared in five games last year with the Yankees but spent the majority of the summer at Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, where he hit .261/.295/.452 with 13 home runs and 13 steals.

These are purely organizational depth signings for Kansas City.

1. dirtyharry1971 - Dec 29, 2013 at 10:41 AM

looks like the jays lost out again, they could have afforded both of these players easily

• Old Gator - Dec 29, 2013 at 12:53 PM

I would say that you leaden attempt at the same old same old “humor” was wasted again, but then, you clearly have an inexhaustible supply of the stuff. Pray for January 6th to hurry hither with the re-opening of your special school, sonny. And work on your punctuation this semester using bigger flashcards.

• anthonymyers - Dec 31, 2013 at 5:13 AM

While he works on punctuation maybe you could figure out the difference between “you” and “your”.

2. johnnysoda - Dec 29, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Ah, Melky. Who could ever forget his big league debut, where he almost cost the Yankees an important game by missing third base?

Despite that, I thought he had potential, and I wish him well with the Royals.

3. anxovies - Dec 29, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Melky had a decent minor league career that if I remember correctly was interrupted in 2012 by some injuries. He has a nice potential to deliver speed and power if he can cut down on SOs and raise his average. Pretty good OF too. He was out of options with the Yankee system but may do well with KC if he improves a little and gets a chance.

4. blingslade - Dec 29, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Sigh, another Melky. The Royals will never learn.

5. Old Gator - Dec 29, 2013 at 12:54 PM

“Melky Mesa” sounds like the formation just to the south of Devil’s Tower. I think they found goat coprolites on top of it but haven’t figured out how they got there.

6. jeremycmurray - Dec 29, 2013 at 5:05 PM

just before I saw the receipt four $5820, I did not believe …that…my cousin woz like they say realy receiving money parttime on-line.. there friend brother had bean doing this for only about 16 months and resently paid the debts on their cottage and got a gorgeous Mitsubishi Evo. navigate to this website,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://x.co/3WLEL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4051)