Dec 29, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
The Royals announced Saturday on their official Twitter feed that they have reached agreement on minor league contracts with infielder Jason Donald and outfielder Melky Mesa. No word on whether those deals include spring training invitations.
Donald did not make an appearance at the major league level in 2013 and batted just .219 with a .586 OPS in 271 plate appearances for the Reds’ Triple-A affiliate in Louisville, Kentucky. He’s 29 years old.
Mesa, 26, appeared in five games last year with the Yankees but spent the majority of the summer at Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, where he hit .261/.295/.452 with 13 home runs and 13 steals.
These are purely organizational depth signings for Kansas City.
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 6
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 30
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 10
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 29
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (190)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)