Dec 30, 2013, 2:30 PM EST
Pittsburgh picked up first baseman Chris McGuiness from Texas in exchange for Triple-A reliever Miles Mikolas.
Gaby Sanchez is around as the Pirates’ right-handed-hitting fallback option at first base in case they fail to land one of their primary targets and now they’ve acquired a left-handed-hitting first baseman in McGuiness to potentially platoon with him.
McGuiness hit just .246 with 11 homers and a .792 OPS in 104 games at Triple-A last season and also got into 10 games for the Rangers in his MLB debut at age 25. He has good on-base skills thanks to plenty of walks, but McGuiness is a career .257 hitter in the minors and lacks ideal power for the position.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)