Dec 31, 2013, 11:36 AM EDT
Every year my friend Repoz over at Baseball Think Factory keeps track of the Hall of Fame balloting via his “HOF Ballot Collecting Gizmo!” It’s a nice snapshot of what voters who have made their ballots public thus far are doing. At the moment, with 14.4% of the vote in (based on last year’s number of votes) here’s the tally, in percentages:
100 – Maddux
98.8 – Glavine
87.8 – F. Thomas
82.9 – Biggio
74.4 – Piazza
64.6 – Bagwell
62.2 – Jack (The Jack) Morris
56.1 – Raines
46.3 – Bonds
45.1 – Clemens
41.5 – Schilling
34.1 – Mussina
23.2 – L. Smith
23.2 – Trammell
18.3 – E. Martinez
15.9 – McGriff
12.2 – Kent
11.0 – L. Walker
11.0 – McGwire
7.3 – R. Palmeiro
7.3 – S. Sosa
3.7 – Mattingly
1.2 – P. Rose (Write-In)
Worth noting that, because these votes come mostly from active baseball writers with online presences, Repoz’s tracker has tended to overrepresent totals for more SABR-friendly candidates, for lack of a better term. The non-baseball writers who still, inexplicably, have a Hall of Fame vote, and those who don’t feel it reasonable to share their voting with the public tend to skew a tad less enlightened. Again, for lack of a better term. Practically speaking, this means that you can expect an uptick for Jack Morris and a downtick for guys like Tim Raines and, of course, the PED-associated players.
But it’s fun anyway.
Aug 3, 2015, 5:00 AM EDT
Lots of walkoffs, lots of guys throwing at other guys and, oh yeah, the Mets are in first place.
Aug 2, 2015, 11:05 PM EDT
Kyle Lohse may have lost his spot in the Brewers’ rotation as his struggles continued on Sunday against the Cubs.
Aug 2, 2015, 10:15 PM EDT
Adeiny Hechavarria prevented the Marlins from getting swept by the Padres on Sunday.
Aug 2, 2015, 9:25 PM EDT
Lucas Duda has no respect for familial ties.
Aug 2, 2015, 8:35 PM EDT
Red Sox pitching prospect Henry Owens will debut at Yankee Stadium on Tuesday. No pressure, kid.
Aug 2, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
Dan Haren sounds pretty set on retiring after the season, but left open the possibility he’d pitch beyond 2015.
Aug 2, 2015, 6:55 PM EDT
It’s safe to say the Royals and Blue Jays won’t be getting dinner with each other anytime soon.
Aug 2, 2015, 6:02 PM EDT
Brandon Morrow will get a second opinion on his right shoulder, as his injury woes persist.
Aug 2, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
A.J. Burnett is prepared to pitch through an elbow injury if necessary.
Aug 2, 2015, 4:27 PM EDT
The Blue Jays and Royals weren’t very friendly to each other on Sunday.
Aug 2, 2015, 3:56 PM EDT
Cincinnati hosted one of two benches-clearing incidents in baseball on Sunday.
Aug 2, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
Injured Phillies second baseman Chase Utley is a potential August acquisition consideration for the Cubs.
Aug 2, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT
Brad Ausmus has a candidate to handle save situations following the Joakim Soria trade.
Aug 2, 2015, 1:55 PM EDT
Marlins outfielder Giancarlo Stanton might not return in mid-August as originally anticipated.
Aug 2, 2015, 1:01 PM EDT
Red Sox starter Rick Porcello heads to the disabled list with a triceps injury.
Aug 2, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Here comes the Boom?
Aug 2, 2015, 11:14 AM EDT
I think it may be!
Aug 2, 2015, 10:40 AM EDT
Great moments in macho baseball culture
Aug 2, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
Let’s talk about waivers.
Aug 2, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Note: that is not his hand or glove.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 51
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)