The Yankees are not signing Stephen Drew

Dec 31, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT

Peter Gammons says:

I think, politically speaking, it’s hard for the Yankees to sign Drew because Derek Jeter is still there and they signed Brendan Ryan to be a glove-first shortstop caddy for the Captain. In reality, though, Drew is better than both of them in that (a) unlike Jeter he’ll be healthy and isn’t, well, so venerable; and (b) unlike Ryan, he knows what to do with a bat in his hands. But really, it was never going to happen, even before you factor in the notion of having to give up a draft pick for him.

That “pillow contract” stuff is about a one-year deal back in Boston. Which, while obviously not what Drew is looking for, may be his best shot to have a full time gig on a winning team and make the most in 2014, even if it comes at the risk of one more year before getting a long term deal.

1. xdj511 - Dec 31, 2013 at 1:34 PM

So… the Yankees are going to sign Stephen Drew?

2. Kevin S. - Dec 31, 2013 at 1:36 PM

I would think the Yankees could offer him a full-time gig – it just wouldn’t be at shortstop this season. If he’s willing to super-utility across the infield as long as he plays every day that’s fantastic, but if he wants one position for 2014 you put him at second, Kelly Johnson and/or A-Rod at third, Jeter/Ryan at short and thank Brian Roberts and Eduardo Nunez for their time.

3. tfbuckfutter - Dec 31, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Hahaha….You just described a Drew as “healthy”.

I would just like to say I might be an improvement to the Yankees Shortstop position….but I wouldn’t sign with them.

And also, I could live with the Sox resigning Drew as long as it really is just a one year deal. And they actually do a better job of working Xander in at SS and don’t just throw him at 3rd and basically destroy whatever potential Middlebrooks still had.

• anxovies - Dec 31, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Why is it that the Red Sox seem to have more annoying trolls than the rest of the league combined? I have met a lot of Sox fans and aside from being Sox fans they seem perfectly nice, normal people, but get them on a website…

• tfbuckfutter - Dec 31, 2013 at 10:06 PM

You just perceive it that way.

I’m not a Red Sox troll. I am just a dick. The team I follow is insignificant in that equation. I would also be a dick if I were a Royals fan. Because, you see, my fandom is regional, my dickishness is borderless.

4. uyf1950 - Dec 31, 2013 at 1:43 PM

It’s not a surprise. Drew isn’t worth giving up a draft pick, plus he has NEVER played a position other than SS.

5. johnnysoda - Dec 31, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Sounds like the Yankees are thinking with their hearts and not with their heads. Rarely does that work out.

• tfbuckfutter - Dec 31, 2013 at 1:49 PM

It worked out for Kris Benson.

Oh wait. No it didn’t.

• scyankee64 - Dec 31, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I think Benson was thinking with something other than his head or heart.

• cackalackyank - Dec 31, 2013 at 3:19 PM

scyankee it depends on which “head” you mean.

• southofheaven81 - Dec 31, 2013 at 2:50 PM

The Yankees are thinking that they signed Jeter for $12 million, for a farewell tour that will net them $100 million in merchandise & completely dwarf what they made off of Mariano in 2013.

• cackalackyank - Dec 31, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Sounds good in theory, there is just one problem, though. I don’t think Jeter has agreed that this is his farewell tour. If he has, it has not been widely reported.

6. uyf1950 - Dec 31, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Drew will probably go back to the Sox on a 1 year deal for about $10 or $10.5MM. Last season he signed for $9.5MM with an additional $500K in incentives. So it would be a small, very small raise by MLB standards.

• cardinalcrazy - Dec 31, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Drew turned down a qualifying offer from the Red Sox for $14.1 mill. Personally, I don’t think that was a wise move. But it wouldn’t be a wise move to sign back with the Sox for only $10.5 mill. He’s got to be looking at least a multiple year deal.

• uyf1950 - Dec 31, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I agree entirely but look as he might there appears at this time to be very very limited options for him. That qualifying offer is a killer in his case I think. I do think he returns to the Red Sox if not a 1 year deal as I mentioned then at most on a 2 year deal at the most for $20MM total, if that.

• gibbyfan - Dec 31, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I would think if Perralta managed to get 53 million from the Cards it would be pretty shocking to see Drew sign for 1 or 2 years at considerably less, although I would love to see him regret turning down the 14 million. Even thought I realize Perrralta didn’t cost a draft pick—pretty sure Drew will get at least what he got

• davefrommac - Dec 31, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Yeah, and all Drew had to do was accept the Red Sox initial qualifying offer which would have netted him 14.1 mil. for 2014. Given that he missed over 40 games last season due to injury and given all of his injury history and up and down play, I nearly dropped my cup of coffee when I read that he had turned down that qualifying offer. Red Sox handed him a gift, and he walked away. When I had previous to that read that Cherington and the Sox had decided to extend Drew a qualifying offer, I thought Ben and Co. were nuts. Now, because of the draft pick compensation clause, it now looks like a shrewd move on Ben’s part. Still, Drew got bad advice from his agent in turning down 14 million big ones for 2014. He will eventually be forced to go to the Sox hat in hand begging for that 14 mil. back, which he probably won’t succeed in getting, as you said.

• gibbyfan - Dec 31, 2013 at 6:09 PM

you make a good point Dave and I hope Drew chokes on his greed…..Sure wish Detroit had made a qualifying offer to Perrralta because then maybe he would have found himself in the same position. But, I believe Detroit didn’t want to risk getting stuck with him even for the year in case he accepted it.

7. southofheaven81 - Dec 31, 2013 at 2:11 PM

So have they just completely given up on Nunez as a shortstop option? I’m completely okay with that.

• uyf1950 - Dec 31, 2013 at 2:19 PM

I doubt that’s the case. It’s just with Jeter anticipated to play the majority of games at SS and Ryan signed for 2 years this year serving as Jeter’s primary back up there is no place on the roster for Drew.

• cackalackyank - Dec 31, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Add Kelly Johnson, and Brian Roberts=there is no room on the 25 man roster for Nunez. At least not whenever A-rod is on it. As it is now there will only be six relievers, eleven pitchers total. 2 catchers, 6 of/dh and 6 inf.

8. drewzducks - Dec 31, 2013 at 2:25 PM

So rather than celebrating their HOF SS with a statue in monument park next year, they’ll be placing one half way between 2B and 3B this April.

9. bostonboresme - Dec 31, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Why would they sign Drew? I didn’t know that was a thing. Pointless posts continue.

• cackalackyank - Dec 31, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Its called the OFFseason for a reason. Just sayin.

10. Glenn - Dec 31, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Because even though they could afford him and it would improve the team, Cashman announced that they would not sign him?

11. proudlycanadian - Dec 31, 2013 at 6:42 PM

If the Yankees do not hurry up and sign Drew, I will not buy Yankee season tickets ever again. Oh wait a minute!

12. pastabelly - Dec 31, 2013 at 9:25 PM

The Red Sox need to find out what they have in Middlebrooks. That only works if Bogearts plays short. Hopefully, the Mets sign Drew and the Sox get a sandwich pick. I didn’t think the Yankees were an option, but wouldn’t mind seeing that since Drew is just a complimentary player.

• stex52 - Jan 2, 2014 at 2:02 PM

You are gambling a lot on Middlebrooks coming back. He came back from a nightmarish first half to just be pretty bad in the second half. I agree that it’s fish or cut bait time for Middlebrooks, but you need another option working.

13. bostonboresme - Jan 1, 2014 at 2:14 AM

Well, Sox fans are Sox fans. But what’re you gonna do. Sox suck, fans suck.

• drewzducks - Jan 1, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Congrats! The timing of your post has resulted in the first moronic post of 2014.

14. pisano - Jan 1, 2014 at 11:08 AM

That pretty much covers it.

• uyf1950 - Jan 1, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Happy New Year, my friend. Been an interesting winter so far for the Yankees, I think there is still more to come.

• pisano - Jan 2, 2014 at 12:39 AM

Same to you my friend, and I’m also waiting for the Yankees to finish their winter business, but I won’t be upset if they don’t get Tanaka, to me you don’t give out a long term, big money contract to someone that’s unproven in the major leagues, that’s just my opinion. Where have you heard that? Happy New Year !

15. hansgruber - Jan 1, 2014 at 2:24 PM

If the Yankees wanted Drew, they would have signed him right after he rejected Boston’s qualifying offer. But such a deal made no sense at the time, and it makes no sense now.

Drew is a good fielder, OK power, but mediocre BA, OBP, and durability. Not bad, but not worth $14 million. The Red Sox are lucky he didn’t take their qualifying offer. They would be better served with Xander Bogaerts at SS, Middlebrooks at 3B. Red Sox are just barely under the luxury tax threshold, so there is no money for Drew anyway. They COULD have found a way to play Drew at SS if he accepted the qualifying offer. But the money has been spent elsewhere.

If Jeter has anything left to give, the Yankees need him at SS because of his bat. In the AL East, your shortstop needs to hit. The Yankees tend to carry a lot of aging DH candidates as it is. They won’t add Jeter to that mix unless they really have to.

The move that makes sense is a verbal “handshake” deal with the Mets, to be signed after the draft (which prevents the loss of a draft pick). It was only a 3rd round pick at risk (because their top-ten 1st round pick is protected and 2nd round is already gone). But why should the Mets give up anything if they are the only bidder? Drew could bat in the 7 or 8 slot for ANY NL team and do a reasonable job for $10 million or so.

16. deedee2die4 - Jan 1, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Counting on D Capt Jeter for ’14 is delusional. The real #2 deal this year will be another yearlong farewell tour.

17. psousa1 - Jan 2, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Basically Brian Cashman is saying “We would prefer all these playable ground balls go through for base hits as they have been for the past few seasons and have the pitchers bite their toungues rather than take the PR hit of showing disrespect to a legend”

Listen, if ARod gets whacked for the season is it so bad Jeter moves over to 3b? For chrissake even Mantle moved to 1B in his final season. But unlike Mantle Jeter will still hit and he has the hands but had almost zero range in his last healthy season two years ago.

• Kevin S. - Jan 2, 2014 at 12:44 PM

You know, it’s funny. Mantle said he retired because he didn’t have it anymore, but compared to the league he hit just fine – it’s just that the run-scoring environment was so suppressed it made everybody look bad. In ’67, Mantle hit .245/.391/.434 against a park-adjusted league average of .238/.306/.357, and in ’68 it was .237/.385/.398 against .232/.301/.344. He had an wRC+ of 147 over the span of those two seasons. I know his body was breaking down, but wno knows if the Year of the Pitcher knocked a couple seasons off the tail end of Mantle’s career?

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto