Dec 31, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Peter Gammons says:
Brian Cashman yesterday said Yanks are not signing Stephen Drew. How Sox do pillow contract that isn’t shoved down his throat is delicate
— Peter Gammons (@pgammo) December 31, 2013
I think, politically speaking, it’s hard for the Yankees to sign Drew because Derek Jeter is still there and they signed Brendan Ryan to be a glove-first shortstop caddy for the Captain. In reality, though, Drew is better than both of them in that (a) unlike Jeter he’ll be healthy and isn’t, well, so venerable; and (b) unlike Ryan, he knows what to do with a bat in his hands. But really, it was never going to happen, even before you factor in the notion of having to give up a draft pick for him.
That “pillow contract” stuff is about a one-year deal back in Boston. Which, while obviously not what Drew is looking for, may be his best shot to have a full time gig on a winning team and make the most in 2014, even if it comes at the risk of one more year before getting a long term deal.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (115)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)