Dec 31, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Peter Gammons says:
Brian Cashman yesterday said Yanks are not signing Stephen Drew. How Sox do pillow contract that isn’t shoved down his throat is delicate
— Peter Gammons (@pgammo) December 31, 2013
I think, politically speaking, it’s hard for the Yankees to sign Drew because Derek Jeter is still there and they signed Brendan Ryan to be a glove-first shortstop caddy for the Captain. In reality, though, Drew is better than both of them in that (a) unlike Jeter he’ll be healthy and isn’t, well, so venerable; and (b) unlike Ryan, he knows what to do with a bat in his hands. But really, it was never going to happen, even before you factor in the notion of having to give up a draft pick for him.
That “pillow contract” stuff is about a one-year deal back in Boston. Which, while obviously not what Drew is looking for, may be his best shot to have a full time gig on a winning team and make the most in 2014, even if it comes at the risk of one more year before getting a long term deal.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8