An anonymous Diamondbacks player slammed Adam Eaton as “selfish”

Jan 1, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT

adam eaton getty Getty Images

I had missed this following the early December trade that sent Adam Eaton from the Dbacks to the White Sox, but apparently a Diamondbacks player anonymously slammed Eaton as he walked out the door, calling him “a selfish me-me type player” and generally calling him a headache and a distraction. Today Zach Buchanan of the Arizona Republic speaks with Eaton who is surprised by the accusation and offers an apology if he offended anyone. Not that he feels like he offended anyone.

Can’t win with the Diamondbacks, I guess. If you’re not a fiery dirt dog you’re sent out of town because of your lack of grit, like Justin Upton was, after which they question your character. If you’re an intense rah-rah guy like Eaton they run you down too.

The common denominator: the Diamondbacks — who often make a point to talk about what is and what is not proper professional behavior — like to talk smack about you after you leave town.

1. nymets4ever - Jan 1, 2014 at 12:09 PM

hi Miguel Montero.

2. kylewo - Jan 1, 2014 at 12:11 PM

I’ve never cared that much about the Diamondbacks either way, but ever since this “grit-madness” they annoy the crap out of me. I feel like they’d take a “gritty” 81-81 over a World Championship any day. Barf.

• biasedhomer - Jan 1, 2014 at 2:46 PM

While I am not a DBacks fan, this “grit” factor is completely overblown, particularly by the writers for this blog.

• genericcommenter - Jan 1, 2014 at 2:59 PM

The “grit factor” is overblown, but the writers of the blog are simply reporting on its overblownness.

3. Gordon - Jan 1, 2014 at 12:13 PM

His advanced metrics of grittyness/grindyness/scrappyness must not have been up to par for the Diamondbacks.

• deathmonkey41 - Jan 1, 2014 at 12:19 PM

I can’t say I know how that works. Does selfishness detract from one’s scrappiness or grittyness? I’m not sure if enough studies have been done in that field.

• zakw12 - Jan 1, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Nice one dude! Super clever!

• yahmule - Jan 1, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Grit, grit, grit.

4. yahmule - Jan 1, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Man, I pity the guys in that clubhouse who aren’t sniping backstabbers. They seem to be severely outnumbered.

• bnkrs01 - Jan 1, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Outnumbered? Tell me how many out of the 25 man roster, coaches and clubhouse personnel are backstabbers?

• yahmule - Jan 1, 2014 at 3:52 PM

82%.

• chinahand11 - Jan 2, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Sorry Yahmule I would put the over / under on Diamondback backstabbers at 91%. You have to consider the entire roster of 40, not just the guys with voodoo dolls and needles in the locker room. Bunch of gritty little cusses they are.

• yahmule - Jan 2, 2014 at 11:01 PM

I guessed low because I didn’t want them talking about me.

5. zakw12 - Jan 1, 2014 at 12:18 PM

So are you ever going to take a different angle when talking about the diamondbacks or is the whole grit thing all you got? How bout challenging yourself?!? You can do it little guy!!!!

• Craig Calcaterra - Jan 1, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Maybe if they gave me something else to work with. Or are you pretending that this didn’t happen?

• gbrim - Jan 1, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Towers didn’t question Upton’s character in the article you linked to above, but you concluded that, in fact, he did just that.

The pool celebration was objected to by one player in numerous tweets. Also, the DBacks front office asked the Dodgers to stay off the field after they finished their on-field celebration for security and safety reasons. The Dodgers ignored the request made prior to the start of the series. This constitutes some transgression by the DBacks but not the Dodgers?

Now, we have one anonymous source who supposedly didn’t enjoy having Eaton in their clubhouse, and this is another example of the DBacks’ organization’s misguided ways?

Guess this really is a slow news day, Craig. Sure sounds like you don’t like the Snakes very much despite all your protests to the contrary.

• ezthinking - Jan 1, 2014 at 4:51 PM

D Backs is awful close to D Bags. Coincidence?

• lanflfan - Jan 1, 2014 at 9:29 PM

D-bag fans have thin skins, a massive inferiority complex, and a huge Dodger blue bubble in their heads.

• zakw12 - Jan 2, 2014 at 2:04 AM

How did I pretend this didn’t happen? Just pointing out this has nothing to do with grit or team philosophy. Just would like to see you maybe add something different for once.

6. proudlycanadian - Jan 1, 2014 at 12:25 PM

A slow news day Craig. I recommend watching the Winter Classic at The Big House today. Over 100,000 fans at a hockey game.

• frank433 - Jan 1, 2014 at 12:54 PM

It’s common knowledge that hockey doesn’t count until after the Super Bowl.

• proudlycanadian - Jan 1, 2014 at 1:03 PM

What is the Super Bowl?

• frank433 - Jan 1, 2014 at 1:40 PM

It’s the big event for the sport that starts after the World Series that is mostly played on Sunday. It ends right before pitchers and catchers report for Spring Training.

• drewzducks - Jan 1, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Grey Cup ? Lol.

7. lyon810 - Jan 1, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Adam Eaton slams anonymous Diamondbacks player as “cowardly”.

8. onbucky96 - Jan 1, 2014 at 1:35 PM

The D-Bags sure slam a lot of guys after they’ve left town. Instead of doing it the right way, to their face. Typical of Kirk Gibson and his players.

9. Muck - Jan 1, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Not a big fan of players taking anonymous shots, but I think the D-Backs did okay in this deal. Eaton was touted as a speedy outfielder who could hit leadoff. So far, he’s a meager 7 of 12 in stolen bases and carries little additional offensive value. Also, not sure why you guys are giving the Diamondbacks a reputation of slamming ex-players. Justin Upton was getting criticized when he was in Arizona, and I don’t think they’ve said anything to inflammatory since he left.

• yahmule - Jan 1, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Trevor Bauer is another forger DBack who got ripped on his way out the door. Not that the AZ team is shy about blasting their own. Kevin Towers pretty much called out his whole pitching staff and accused them of not having the balls to plunk opposing hitters. The paranoia and fake tough BS that comes from the top down in this organization is going to keep them a target of derision.

• yahmule - Jan 1, 2014 at 2:11 PM

That should be former DBack. I’m not aware of him ever being accused of forgery at any point.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jan 1, 2014 at 2:13 PM

He’s played 88 games across two years in the pros, I’d be a little careful assigning what he is/isn’t as an offensive player. Also, the d’backs slammed Trevor Bauer too after they traded him to the Indians. The best part about Bauer is, Bauer saying before the draft he didn’t want to change his between start routine, the D’backs drafted him, tried to change it, and didn’t like the attitude they got from Bauer. Maybe pay attention to your player, or pick up a newspaper.

• fourbaseballfanatics - Jan 1, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Whats a newspaper?

• tedwest - Jan 1, 2014 at 3:20 PM

You seem to know nothing about Eaton or Bauer. Eaton showed absolutely nothing last season… an utter disappointment.

He did have flashes of brilliance the season before, but last season, his arm was lacking after an injury, and his speed seemed to vanish as well. even his aggressiveness seemed constrained.

My concern was that they’d get rid of Campana who showed the same kind of potential that Eaton had in the beginning. When the peddled Eaton, I was pleasantly surprised.

As for Bauer, what an absolute mess he was. He had one good outing, and even those who absolutely loved the guy in the beginning had to admit that, at minimum, he wasn’t ready. Me, not being too familiar with Bauer before he arrived, I couldn’t see anything to get excited about. And his pre-game “ritual” became both disruptive and ridiculous once his game performance failed miserably.

• yahmule - Jan 1, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Ted, if you didn’t think the DBacks would keep Tony Campana and his lifetime OPS+ of 69 over a promising young player like Adam Eaton, you’re in for a real treat. Arizona is exactly the baseball team for you.

• tedwest - Jan 1, 2014 at 9:55 PM

Yarmulke, I’m well aware of Campana, you dope, and I said nothing other than I preferred keeping him over Eaton. He has more potential than Eaton with his arm trouble and declining speed.

I sure wish I knew where to find you when this all sorts out Which is your team, genius?

• yahmule - Jan 2, 2014 at 1:42 AM

I’m not sure how much information I want to give you, Ted. You seem like a bit of a kook.

• clydeserra - Jan 1, 2014 at 2:52 PM

a)7 of 12 is not good, but its a small sample
      2) if he is bad at stealing someone needs to tell him to stop.

• chesschum - Jan 1, 2014 at 7:16 PM

It won’t be Robin Ventura. Eaton’s SB rate is similar to that of Alejandro de Aza, the guy he’s apparently going to replace.

• clydeserra - Jan 1, 2014 at 2:54 PM

also, Is it a defense to being a terrible human being that you didn’t criticize the player in the press after he left, only while he was there?

10. craigmaitland - Jan 1, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Can 2014 be the death of anonymous players and sources? Put your name on it you rat.

• ctony1216 - Jan 2, 2014 at 10:40 AM

Right. And here’s hoping that journalists show a little bit of common sense before putting anonymous comments in their stories. If a player is accused of being a problem on a team, but you never saw it, never heard of it, and never reported on it while the guy was playing for that team, maybe this anonymous source is just a dumbass and doesn’t deserve a public airing of his point of view.

11. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jan 1, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Real men sign their names when they leave statements. Whoever this coward is, I hope they get what they have coming to them.

12. blynch67 - Jan 1, 2014 at 3:11 PM

It’s just not a good reflection on the organization in general.

I don’t think this can help their case to attract Masahiro Tanaka. I would expect that his US based agent is aware of these little snippets and includes them in his recommendation.

He has to wonder how/if he’ll fit in with all them gritty sidewinders on the team, out there in the rattlesnake republic.

Stay classy, my friends.

• biasedhomer - Jan 1, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Not like the DBacks even have a chance at Tanaka.

13. yordo - Jan 1, 2014 at 3:27 PM

The anonymous thugs are petitioning Kevin Towers to sign Tanaka. They think it would be thrilling if they could talk crap about a player when he’s in the room.

14. hildezero - Jan 1, 2014 at 3:34 PM

@onbucky96,

“Dbags”, huh? You’re a knucklehead, punk!

• ezthinking - Jan 1, 2014 at 4:54 PM

D Backs is awful close to D Bags. Coincidence?

15. phillysports1 - Jan 1, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Adam Eaton lol guy sucks why do people talk about him ..

16. hildezero - Jan 1, 2014 at 6:36 PM

@ezthinking,

Na, it’s not and you know it. The D-backs are a good team. You’re just saying that, because you hate them for no reason. XD

• ezthinking - Jan 1, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Nah, I can figure out what’s a decent team and what’s not. I don’t hate them as a team, just their self-righteous manager, front office and apparently a few of their players.

Also, I know how to reply to a post, even if my phone doubled me up. #HowTheInternetWorks

17. El Pollo Loco - Jan 1, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Remember when the Dodgers celebrated the division title by jumping into the DBacks pool?Yeah that was pretty funny

18. adcoop22 - Jan 1, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Craig seems to spend a lot of time looking to rip the DBacks and I get the feeling a lot of commenters think that there is a bunch of morons in the front office. So far these “big players” getting traded away have not proven much with their new teams. We constantly hear about JUp, Bauer, and now Eaton. In reality the only player that has been traded away in the past year and actually been missed is Chris Johnson. Funny that this doesn’t seem to be brought up.

• Kevin S. - Jan 2, 2014 at 12:11 AM

Justin Upton hit .263/.354/.464 last year. Diamondback outfielders hit an aggregate .260/.319/.385. They missed him plenty, although I’m sure Kevin Towers only sees the three-point difference in batting average.

19. kirschmania - Jan 1, 2014 at 11:45 PM

Hmmmm… Based on this article I would like to know how your coworkers would feel if I said everyone at NBCsportstalk tend to generalize when it comes to reporting the news. Think about it.

20. hildezero - Jan 2, 2014 at 1:05 AM

@ezthinking,

Yeah, exactly. That’s call hating… Duh!

Learn how to post a comment once, too.

21. dylanv18 - Jan 2, 2014 at 5:06 AM

The amount of assumptions and generalizations in this article is incredible. Must have been a slow news day, Craig.

First of all, this “grit” overhype is ridiculous. The Diamondbacks did not trade Justin Upton because he didn’t have “grit.” They traded him because he had a huge payday on his way, and he hadn’t lived up to his potential. A change of scenery would help both him and the Diamondbacks, and it did, considering Martin Prado was more productive than Upton was this year. Plus, Upton turned the fans on him during his time in Arizona by saying things like “I don’t care what the fans think.” But that was all. There were no ill words spoken about Upton from the organization after he was traded.

So to assume that Eaton was sent out of town because “he didn’t have grit” is asinine. But then again, this whole article is based off of assumptions, isn’t it? Eaton was traded to acquire a need, and Eaton was expendable with the logjam the Dbacks have at center field. Not because someone anonymous in the club house thought he wasn’t gritty enough and wanted him to leave. I’m not denying that a player said something about Eaton, but someone saying something certainly wasn’t what got Eaton sent away.

Making up things to get reads on a slow news day is always fun, isn’t it Craig? Especially when you get to bash an organization you personally don’t like.

22. rrsm53 - Jan 2, 2014 at 7:28 AM

Sounds like a typical whiner, complain about someone but wont put you name to it. Chicken $h!t is running wild everywhere.

When the D’Backs win something then people can complain about their teammates being selfish and whatever put bottom line have a set of what god supposedly gave you and use your name this is so pathetic. Not even sports story worthy.

23. spookinthe70s - Jan 2, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Who the eff is Craig Calcaterra and why should a Diamondbacks fan care at all about what he has to say.

His comment is filled with innuendo and assumption and each of those is incorrect.

Eaton had not matched his potential. I’m not in the clubhouse, so I don’t know whether he was selfish or not, nor do I care, now that he’s gone.

I didn’t dislike him, but he was the odd man out when trade time came. Now the Diamondbacks have a closer, younger than JJ Putz and certainly more reliable than David Hernandez.

I’ve not read any other comments by Mr. Calcaterra, but I “assume” from the other comments made about him, that he’s an infamous D-Back hater.

24. chip56 - Jan 2, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Except in Upton’s case it was the front office questioning his intensity, in Eaton’s case it’s another player. Or are you saying that in an organization of several hundred people everyone has to have the same opinions?

25. lostsok - Jan 2, 2014 at 11:44 PM

Who runs the D-Backs, John McCain?

“Get off my lawn…and out of my pool!”

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2842)