Jan 1, 2014, 10:37 AM EDT
From the Star-Telegram, some quotes from Nelson Cruz about his time in Texas apparently coming to an end. The usual stuff: it’s been good, I’ll always remember my time there fondly, but it’s a business, etc, etc. But this is what caught my eye:
Free-agent slugger Nelson Cruz was in Colorado on a ski vacation, his first time hitting the slopes, when his phone rang with the news that he won’t be returning to the Texas Rangers.
Talk about ruining a good time.
I guess as a free agent there are no contract provisions in place keeping him from engaging in activities that might get one injured. At the same time: if you’re facing a free agent market as tough as this one is for corner guys with no defensive value and draft pick compensation attached to you, maybe you want to do everything you can to keep from adding one more knock against your marketability. Like, I dunno, a broken leg.
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 0
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)