Jan 1, 2014, 10:37 AM EDT
From the Star-Telegram, some quotes from Nelson Cruz about his time in Texas apparently coming to an end. The usual stuff: it’s been good, I’ll always remember my time there fondly, but it’s a business, etc, etc. But this is what caught my eye:
Free-agent slugger Nelson Cruz was in Colorado on a ski vacation, his first time hitting the slopes, when his phone rang with the news that he won’t be returning to the Texas Rangers.
Talk about ruining a good time.
I guess as a free agent there are no contract provisions in place keeping him from engaging in activities that might get one injured. At the same time: if you’re facing a free agent market as tough as this one is for corner guys with no defensive value and draft pick compensation attached to you, maybe you want to do everything you can to keep from adding one more knock against your marketability. Like, I dunno, a broken leg.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)