Jan 1, 2014, 10:37 AM EDT
From the Star-Telegram, some quotes from Nelson Cruz about his time in Texas apparently coming to an end. The usual stuff: it’s been good, I’ll always remember my time there fondly, but it’s a business, etc, etc. But this is what caught my eye:
Free-agent slugger Nelson Cruz was in Colorado on a ski vacation, his first time hitting the slopes, when his phone rang with the news that he won’t be returning to the Texas Rangers.
Talk about ruining a good time.
I guess as a free agent there are no contract provisions in place keeping him from engaging in activities that might get one injured. At the same time: if you’re facing a free agent market as tough as this one is for corner guys with no defensive value and draft pick compensation attached to you, maybe you want to do everything you can to keep from adding one more knock against your marketability. Like, I dunno, a broken leg.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)