Jan 1, 2014, 7:22 PM EDT
Making official what was speculated about last week the Angels have signed Mark Mulder to a minor-league contract with an invitation to spring training, according to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com.
Mulder hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2008 and hasn’t been healthy and effective in the majors since 2005, so he’s certainly a long shot at age 36.
Giants general manager Brian Sabean indicated to reporters last month that Mulder was seeking a major-league contract and 40-man roster spot, but that always seemed highly unlikely and sure enough he’ll have to compete for a gig with the Angels.
Mulder was reportedly throwing in the low-90s during a recent tryout for teams.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 14
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)