Jan 1, 2014, 7:22 PM EST
Making official what was speculated about last week the Angels have signed Mark Mulder to a minor-league contract with an invitation to spring training, according to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com.
Mulder hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2008 and hasn’t been healthy and effective in the majors since 2005, so he’s certainly a long shot at age 36.
Giants general manager Brian Sabean indicated to reporters last month that Mulder was seeking a major-league contract and 40-man roster spot, but that always seemed highly unlikely and sure enough he’ll have to compete for a gig with the Angels.
Mulder was reportedly throwing in the low-90s during a recent tryout for teams.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 32
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 377
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (377)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)