Jan 1, 2014, 7:22 PM EDT
Making official what was speculated about last week the Angels have signed Mark Mulder to a minor-league contract with an invitation to spring training, according to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com.
Mulder hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2008 and hasn’t been healthy and effective in the majors since 2005, so he’s certainly a long shot at age 36.
Giants general manager Brian Sabean indicated to reporters last month that Mulder was seeking a major-league contract and 40-man roster spot, but that always seemed highly unlikely and sure enough he’ll have to compete for a gig with the Angels.
Mulder was reportedly throwing in the low-90s during a recent tryout for teams.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)