Murray Chass is keeping his Hall of Fame vote to spite me specifically

Jan 2, 2014, 10:32 AM EDT

Murray Chass

Really, it’s true. Noted unemployed blogger Murray Chass promised last year that he would cease voting for the Hall of Fame after this year. That his sole reason for one last vote would be to get Jack Morris in, then he would relinquish his ballot for all time. But he got mad that Rob Neyer and I called him out for his baseless accusations of steroid use by Craig Biggio, so now he’s going to spite us:

Finally, an announcement that will disappoint Neyer, Calcaterra and the reader who, like those two bloggers, said they were delighted that this was the last time I would be voting for the Hall of Fame. Sorry, guys I never made it definite.

I said “barring a change in my thinking,” this could be my last vote. My thinking has changed, and all of you critics can blame yourselves. How could I relinquish my vote knowing how much it annoys you? I plan to vote a year from now even if I just send in a blank ballot. You would love that.

The rest of his blog post revolves around (a) lecturing me about how to be proper journalist; and (b) citing another person’s statement that, while they are unwilling to share the basis for it, they personally believe Biggio did steroids as evidence that Biggio did steroids. I see no disconnect there.

Oh well. Don’t go gentle into that good night, Murray. Burn and rave at close of day. With the approving imprimatur of the Baseball Writers Association of America.

108 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. tablescrappy - Jan 2, 2014 at 12:43 PM

I find myself caring less and less about the hall of fame. If it doesn’t document and celebrate the best players in the game’s history, what good is it? And if the reason it fails in its central job is that its chosen voters use the power of the vote to grandstand, well, I just can’t bring myself to give a crap. Let Murray and every other self-important hof voter rot in the rubble they’ve created.

2. nbjays - Jan 2, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Murray Chass… never in the history of baseball has a writer (or so-called writer in this case) been so perfectly described by the last 3 letters of his surname.

• rathipon - Jan 2, 2014 at 1:13 PM

John Heyman – disappointed.

• Old Gator - Jan 2, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Why? Is Scott Boras Murray’s agent?

3. jarathen - Jan 2, 2014 at 12:53 PM

The BBWAA really needs to do something about this jerk. As in, not give him the power he wields with impunity. If he doesn’t respect what his role is, then he shouldn’t be allowed to hold it.

4. crackersnap - Jan 2, 2014 at 1:06 PM

And to think that all this kind of BBWAA Chass-hatted HoF voting has been going on all along. We just never knew it because the ballots were kept secret and none of these idiots felt any need to justify themselves to a knowledgeable audience.

5. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jan 2, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Responsible journalism at it’s finest. Voting out of pure spite. Good job Hall of Fame! Let’s make sure this guy continues to have a say in this institution! Even judges can get pushed out when it’s deemed their judgement is affecting their work.

• byjiminy - Jan 2, 2014 at 10:59 PM

I think Craig’s already won this one. Chass has not only made a complete ass of himself, he’s irrevocably discredited every previous vote of his as well. And made the entire HOF voting system look pretty stupid as well.

6. cur68 - Jan 2, 2014 at 2:43 PM

I’ve said it before and this proves it: Chass reads these posts and comments here. He must. His writing is reminiscent of many of the ill-considered snipes at Craig, logic failures, and Old School “I-Know-More-Than-You” mewling that you occasionally see in the comments section.

I hope Murray’s taking some notes on how its done. In fact, I bet he is. The irony is that its not from the bloggers. He’s cribbing from his fellow trolls.

Oh, the humanity…

• Old Gator - Jan 2, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Murray Chass, practicing adult.

• unclemosesgreen - Jan 2, 2014 at 5:30 PM

More proof that practice doesn’t make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

• jrobitaille23 - Jan 2, 2014 at 6:31 PM

are you Craig in disguise? You sure do a lot of his defending for him.

• Old Gator - Jan 2, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Defending him for what, in this case? Being amused by the petulant antics of one of the biggest cranks in spawrtsrighting?

• cur68 - Jan 3, 2014 at 12:44 AM

Ordinarily I wouldn’t bother replying to you, since I consider you pretty much a worm of a person. But I want some answers from you, so quid pro quo.

1) Am I Craig? No. Craig’s a pasty white bald man in Ohio. I’m a suave black guy with a full head of hair from Canada.

2) Does Craig need me to defend him? Nah. I just like yelling at morons.

Now, since I’m answering your questions, perhaps you’ll answer some of mine:
        1) Are you out of the third grade yet? You need to repeat that one. We capitalize the first letter of the initial word in our sentences. Use Mr. Shift Key when you start typing, mmkay?

2) You turn up to pour bile all over the place and to ONLY pour bile. Are you just bitter that Craig has what you do not? You know: a job writing amusing stuff about baseball? Or is it just that he has a job at all, while you are unemployed. In Greenland.

• Kevin S. - Jan 3, 2014 at 8:46 AM

Friendless, brainless, helpless, hopeless? Sounds about right.

7. kiwicricket - Jan 2, 2014 at 2:48 PM

I don’t think Murry understands how the internet works…

• kiwicricket - Jan 2, 2014 at 2:50 PM

(And I can’t spell. ‘Murray’)

• historiophiliac - Jan 2, 2014 at 3:58 PM

You’re supposed to demand an edit function there.

8. ptfu - Jan 2, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Congratulations Craig, you’ve hooked a live one. Now you can control Murray Chass’ HOF vote through his desire to spite you. Begin the campaign of disinformation. Talk up all the terrible candidates so that ol’Murray votes for the deserving candidates to spite you. Use his irrational hatred against him and for the benefit of the HOF.

In this way, a great injustice shall be remedied and peace shall spread across the world.

• Old Gator - Jan 2, 2014 at 8:06 PM

I can see the point of hooking Chass. I can’t see the point of boating him, though. He’s full of mercury.

• Professor Fate - Jan 3, 2014 at 1:33 AM

A cranky, old large-mouth bass like Chass should be thrown back for no other reason than the sporting fun of hooking him again and again and again.

9. Darkoestrada - Jan 2, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Can someone just start a new hall of fame? Call it the hall of fame for reasonable thinking people? Because the bbwa are ruining the current one for anyone who grew up in the 80s,90s and beyond.

10. braxtonrob - Jan 2, 2014 at 7:49 PM

I’m famous! I’m pretty sure I’m the “reader” who said “Good!” when I read he was done.
    Maybe, maybe not, I can’t really remember … but I was thinking it.

(You hear that Murray? I was THINKING IT! lol)

11. braxtonrob - Jan 2, 2014 at 8:38 PM

I only have one question for Murray Chass, …
    What’s a … ‘newssspaperrr’?

12. davidbrentfan - Jan 2, 2014 at 9:56 PM

EVERYONE ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD IS A B A S T A R D EXCEPT FOR ME! F U C K YOU, B A S T A R D S!

• yahmule - Jan 2, 2014 at 10:55 PM

Oh my.

13. Walk - Jan 2, 2014 at 11:49 PM

It is clear he had no intention of giving up his vote. You see it all the time with people who troll the internet. They will make a big to do about this being their last post or this will be the last time they respond to a certain poster then return. The whole point being to get people to talk about them and to find out who their outspoken critics are so they can concentrate on them. If no one pays them any attention they fade away but if you respond to them they hang out forever.

14. Chipmaker - Jan 3, 2014 at 6:05 AM

A blank ballot would be exactly representative of his critical thinking skills and intellectual consistency.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3806)