Jan 2, 2014, 10:32 AM EDT
Really, it’s true. Noted unemployed blogger Murray Chass promised last year that he would cease voting for the Hall of Fame after this year. That his sole reason for one last vote would be to get Jack Morris in, then he would relinquish his ballot for all time. But he got mad that Rob Neyer and I called him out for his baseless accusations of steroid use by Craig Biggio, so now he’s going to spite us:
Finally, an announcement that will disappoint Neyer, Calcaterra and the reader who, like those two bloggers, said they were delighted that this was the last time I would be voting for the Hall of Fame. Sorry, guys I never made it definite.
I said “barring a change in my thinking,” this could be my last vote. My thinking has changed, and all of you critics can blame yourselves. How could I relinquish my vote knowing how much it annoys you? I plan to vote a year from now even if I just send in a blank ballot. You would love that.
The rest of his blog post revolves around (a) lecturing me about how to be proper journalist; and (b) citing another person’s statement that, while they are unwilling to share the basis for it, they personally believe Biggio did steroids as evidence that Biggio did steroids. I see no disconnect there.
Oh well. Don’t go gentle into that good night, Murray. Burn and rave at close of day. With the approving imprimatur of the Baseball Writers Association of America.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 41
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 37
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)