Jan 2, 2014, 10:32 AM EDT
Really, it’s true. Noted unemployed blogger Murray Chass promised last year that he would cease voting for the Hall of Fame after this year. That his sole reason for one last vote would be to get Jack Morris in, then he would relinquish his ballot for all time. But he got mad that Rob Neyer and I called him out for his baseless accusations of steroid use by Craig Biggio, so now he’s going to spite us:
Finally, an announcement that will disappoint Neyer, Calcaterra and the reader who, like those two bloggers, said they were delighted that this was the last time I would be voting for the Hall of Fame. Sorry, guys I never made it definite.
I said “barring a change in my thinking,” this could be my last vote. My thinking has changed, and all of you critics can blame yourselves. How could I relinquish my vote knowing how much it annoys you? I plan to vote a year from now even if I just send in a blank ballot. You would love that.
The rest of his blog post revolves around (a) lecturing me about how to be proper journalist; and (b) citing another person’s statement that, while they are unwilling to share the basis for it, they personally believe Biggio did steroids as evidence that Biggio did steroids. I see no disconnect there.
Oh well. Don’t go gentle into that good night, Murray. Burn and rave at close of day. With the approving imprimatur of the Baseball Writers Association of America.
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 0
- Update: Luis Avilan loses Aaron Harang’s no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 3
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 36
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)