Jan 2, 2014, 10:32 AM EST
Really, it’s true. Noted unemployed blogger Murray Chass promised last year that he would cease voting for the Hall of Fame after this year. That his sole reason for one last vote would be to get Jack Morris in, then he would relinquish his ballot for all time. But he got mad that Rob Neyer and I called him out for his baseless accusations of steroid use by Craig Biggio, so now he’s going to spite us:
Finally, an announcement that will disappoint Neyer, Calcaterra and the reader who, like those two bloggers, said they were delighted that this was the last time I would be voting for the Hall of Fame. Sorry, guys I never made it definite.
I said “barring a change in my thinking,” this could be my last vote. My thinking has changed, and all of you critics can blame yourselves. How could I relinquish my vote knowing how much it annoys you? I plan to vote a year from now even if I just send in a blank ballot. You would love that.
The rest of his blog post revolves around (a) lecturing me about how to be proper journalist; and (b) citing another person’s statement that, while they are unwilling to share the basis for it, they personally believe Biggio did steroids as evidence that Biggio did steroids. I see no disconnect there.
Oh well. Don’t go gentle into that good night, Murray. Burn and rave at close of day. With the approving imprimatur of the Baseball Writers Association of America.
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 3
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 76
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (76)