Jan 3, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
Teams are expected to watch free agent reliever Carlos Marmol pitch for the Tigres del Licey in the Dominican Winter League playoffs, according to Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors. MLBTR reports that Marmol has discussed a Major League deal with three different teams, though it is unclear if any of those offers are still on the table. Marmol is expected to sign at some point this month.
While his ERA hasn’t been catastrophically bad, Marmol has struggled immensely with his control, particularly over the past two seasons. In 104.1 innings of work, Marmol has walked 85 batters, 82 intentionally. His 18 percent walk rate state the start of 2012 is the worst among 98 relievers who logged at least 100 innings. The next worst is Rex Brothers at 12.7 percent. If he can ever overcome his control problems, he can still be a useful reliever, but Marmol will be entering his ninth season in the Majors. Sometimes you just are who you are.
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 0
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)