Jan 3, 2014, 10:49 AM EST
In his absence Trevor Rosenthal has taken over as the Cardinals’ closer after Motte saved a league-leading 42 games in 2012, so whenever he does return it’ll be as a setup man. And according to Goold the 32-year-old right-hander is “working toward games possibly in mid-March.”
There are quite a few hurdles to clear before then and Motte is definitely behind a normal pitching schedule as spring training nears. There’s a good chance he’ll begin the season on the disabled list, but by May or June he could be helping an already deep Cardinals bullpen.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (88)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)