Jan 3, 2014, 7:30 AM EDT
Jeff Suppan, a veteran of seven teams but best known for his 2006 NLCS MVP award with the St. Louis Cardinals, announced his retirement yesterday.
A second round pick of the Boston Red Sox in the 1993 draft, Suppan pitched in the bigs for 17 seasons, amassing a record of 140-146 with a 4.70 ERA, 1,390 strikeouts and 871 walks in 2542.2 innings. All but 31 of his 448 career games came as a starter. After spending the early part of his career in Boston he made stops in Arizona, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, another brief stop in Boston, St. Louis, Milwaukee, back to St. Louis and finishing his career in 2012 with the Padres.
Suppan gave a statement yesterday:
“After 17 Major League seasons, I’ve squeezed everything out of my ability,” Suppan said. “I am both honored and blessed to have played the game with some of the greatest teammates and coaches. Baseball will always hold a special place in my heart and I am looking forward to the next chapter of my life.”
To his credit, he probably squeezed more out of his ability than most guys of similar ability do, as his 17 years in the majors attest.
Jul 31, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT
Yankees pitching prospect Luis Severino will make his major league debut within the next week.
Jul 31, 2015, 6:14 PM EDT
Clayton Kershaw has been scratched from a start yet again due to a hip problem.
Jul 31, 2015, 5:37 PM EDT
Yes, I realize it’s silly to do this an hour after the trade deadline, as time is required to see how this stuff truly shakes out. But what is the Internet for if not kneejerk reactions?
Jul 31, 2015, 4:33 PM EDT
J.A. Happ and Joe Blanton, reunited.
Jul 31, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
He was DFA’d by the Dodgers as soon as they got him but he may platoon at 1B for Pittsburgh.
Jul 31, 2015, 4:20 PM EDT
People thought they’d make four or five trades. They ended up doing nothing.
Jul 31, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
We’re recapping all of the deals as they come down.
Jul 31, 2015, 4:11 PM EDT
Bullpen help for Chicago.
Jul 31, 2015, 3:59 PM EDT
The Mets add a big bat to their anemic offense. And they don’t have to part with Zack Wheeler to do it.
Jul 31, 2015, 3:12 PM EDT
Jones struggled in a part-time role for the Yankees.
Jul 31, 2015, 2:27 PM EDT
This is the third outfielder to whom they’ve been linked in three days. Let’s see if this one takes.
Jul 31, 2015, 2:13 PM EDT
He’s hitting hitting .298/.334/.374 and will likely take over left field duties.
Jul 31, 2015, 2:08 PM EDT
Jed Hoyer has worked for all three of these teams. He may be in the middle of a big trade involving them all.
Jul 31, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
Bullpen help has been an obvious need for Minnesota.
Jul 31, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
The Cubs get a starter.
Jul 31, 2015, 1:28 PM EDT
Another move for Toronto.
Jul 31, 2015, 1:13 PM EDT
Don’t bring me down . . . Mets!
Jul 31, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
The price is too high.
Jul 31, 2015, 12:02 PM EDT
Cardinals’ bullpen is suddenly stacked with closers and ex-closers.
Jul 31, 2015, 11:11 AM EDT
Maybe he’ll see Daniel Norris coming the other way in his van?
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 40
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 10
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 35
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)