Jan 3, 2014, 11:25 PM EST
Jim Duquette of MLB Network Radio suggests free agent 1B/DH Kendrys Morales would be a good fit for the Royals. The market for Morales is fairly quiet right now as he is tied to draft pick compensation and doesn’t offer much aside from his ability to hit.
However, Duquette also suggests that signing Morales would give the Royals the flexibility to trade current DH Billy Butler for starting pitching. The Blue Jays were interested in acquiring Butler last month and could still be a potential suitor if such a situation were to come up.
Morales has been fairly consistent between 2012 and 2013, posting a .787 and .785 OPS, respectively. No one questions his ability to hit, but his value is dragged down by having to be a DH full-time, or otherwise having to play defense at first base poorly. If the Royals were to sign Morales, they would relinquish their first-round pick in the 2014 draft, the 18th overall pick.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)