Jan 3, 2014, 11:25 PM EDT
Jim Duquette of MLB Network Radio suggests free agent 1B/DH Kendrys Morales would be a good fit for the Royals. The market for Morales is fairly quiet right now as he is tied to draft pick compensation and doesn’t offer much aside from his ability to hit.
However, Duquette also suggests that signing Morales would give the Royals the flexibility to trade current DH Billy Butler for starting pitching. The Blue Jays were interested in acquiring Butler last month and could still be a potential suitor if such a situation were to come up.
Morales has been fairly consistent between 2012 and 2013, posting a .787 and .785 OPS, respectively. No one questions his ability to hit, but his value is dragged down by having to be a DH full-time, or otherwise having to play defense at first base poorly. If the Royals were to sign Morales, they would relinquish their first-round pick in the 2014 draft, the 18th overall pick.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 6
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 60
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 48
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 113
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (113)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)