Jan 3, 2014, 11:25 PM EDT
Jim Duquette of MLB Network Radio suggests free agent 1B/DH Kendrys Morales would be a good fit for the Royals. The market for Morales is fairly quiet right now as he is tied to draft pick compensation and doesn’t offer much aside from his ability to hit.
However, Duquette also suggests that signing Morales would give the Royals the flexibility to trade current DH Billy Butler for starting pitching. The Blue Jays were interested in acquiring Butler last month and could still be a potential suitor if such a situation were to come up.
Morales has been fairly consistent between 2012 and 2013, posting a .787 and .785 OPS, respectively. No one questions his ability to hit, but his value is dragged down by having to be a DH full-time, or otherwise having to play defense at first base poorly. If the Royals were to sign Morales, they would relinquish their first-round pick in the 2014 draft, the 18th overall pick.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 14
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 18
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 21
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 32
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)