Jan 3, 2014, 11:25 PM EST
Jim Duquette of MLB Network Radio suggests free agent 1B/DH Kendrys Morales would be a good fit for the Royals. The market for Morales is fairly quiet right now as he is tied to draft pick compensation and doesn’t offer much aside from his ability to hit.
However, Duquette also suggests that signing Morales would give the Royals the flexibility to trade current DH Billy Butler for starting pitching. The Blue Jays were interested in acquiring Butler last month and could still be a potential suitor if such a situation were to come up.
Morales has been fairly consistent between 2012 and 2013, posting a .787 and .785 OPS, respectively. No one questions his ability to hit, but his value is dragged down by having to be a DH full-time, or otherwise having to play defense at first base poorly. If the Royals were to sign Morales, they would relinquish their first-round pick in the 2014 draft, the 18th overall pick.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 56
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)