Rosenthal: the Dbacks will be “major players” for Tanaka

Jan 3, 2014, 9:30 AM EST

masahiro tanaka getty Getty Images

Fox Sports’ Ken Rosenthal writes that The Diamondbacks “cannot be ruled out as major players” for Japanese right-hander Masahiro Tanaka.

The idea is that the Dbacks were already prepared to spend $140 million or more for Shin-Soo Choo and thus have that money available for other uses. Looking around the free agent market right now there aren’t a ton of other great uses of it and the Diamondbacks’ efforts to make a trade for a front line starter have gone nowhere.

Lots of teams have an interest in Tanaka, of course. Matching up that interest with a demonstrated need and, more importantly, a demonstrated willingness and ability to spend the money required is what matters. After reading Rosenthal’s piece, you get the feeling that maybe Arizona is a more serious player than others.

1. Ayana Rashed - Jan 3, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Reblogged this on Imarashed.

2. uyf1950 - Jan 3, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Add another team to list that of “major” players for Tanaka. So far we have the: Yankees, Dodgers, Cubs, Mariners, Angels and now the Diamondbacks Just that group has to be enough to make Tanaka’s agent Casey Close giddy.

• jarathen - Jan 3, 2014 at 11:36 AM

I get the feeling that the Angels are thought of more as logical fits than aggressive pursuers. Tanaka is going to make more money than he’s worth. If he’s amenable, I’m thinking a good deal could be had for Matt Garza right now, before Tanaka drives up the price on starting pitching even more.

• unclemosesgreen - Jan 3, 2014 at 11:46 AM

And I get the feeling that you are drastically underestimating Arte Moreno’s ability to waste hundreds of millions of dollars at a time like it’s nothing.

• cackalackyank - Jan 3, 2014 at 11:59 AM

I could be wrong, but until Tanaka signs his deal, thereby “setting the market”, I do not believe any of the remaining FA starters are going to be signing. While Tanaka has been amazing in NPB, he is an unknown quantity in MLB, on an MLB schedule. Not that Tanaka isn’t going to get mega bucks, but a savvy agent is going to at least try to work that in the favor of Garza, Jiminez, E. Santana, and maybe even Arroyo, once they see what Tanaka gets.

3. dondada10 - Jan 3, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Tanaka could easily be a smokescreen for teams looking to sign either Matt Garza or Ubaldo Jimenez.

• unclemosesgreen - Jan 3, 2014 at 11:42 AM

More like a speedbump on hot stove road. The market is pausing while everyone negotiates with the perceived best available remaining player. Whoever ends up with Garza would rather have ended up with Tanaka.

Jimenez, on the other hand, had an outstanding comeback season last year. For my money Ubaldo will be better than Tanaka while the latter is adjusting to the American baseball. Not the game, the ball itself.

4. blynch67 - Jan 3, 2014 at 10:57 AM

First: Have they determined that he is “Gritty Enough”?
    Second: Do they serve sushi and sashimi, etc., in the Rednek Republik?
    Third: If not, are ‘rattlesnake on a stick’ and barbequed scorpion close enough to sushi to get a deal done?

NFW is Masahiro Tanaka signing with the D-Backs. Take that to the bank.

• spudchukar - Jan 3, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Both the D-backs and Tanaka are smarter than you. They both know nothing good ever comes from visiting a bank, and they damned sure aren’t going to take their cash there. Plus, it is inarticulate to replace a “C” or “CK” with a “K”, it implies Cyrillic language usage, while suggesting a region is right-wing conservative, when most Cyrillic using countries are socialist.

• blynch67 - Jan 3, 2014 at 7:40 PM

spudchukar-

You painfully lack a sense of humor.

You’re a square peg trying to fit in a round hole.

• spudchukar - Jan 4, 2014 at 12:29 AM

Obviously clever is a foreign word to you.

5. Old Gator - Jan 3, 2014 at 10:59 AM

I will not make any more grit jokes.
    I will not make any more grit jokes.
    I will not make any more grit jokes.
    I will not make any more grit jokes.
    I will not make any more grit jokes.
    I will not make any more grit jokes.
    I will not make any more grit jokes.
    I will not make any more grit jokes…..

• unclemosesgreen - Jan 3, 2014 at 11:37 AM

How about a Joe Palooka joke? Oh wait, wrong Grit.

• nbjays - Jan 3, 2014 at 12:24 PM

You live in Florida and love to cook… how about some grits jokes?

• yahmule - Jan 3, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Does this change your mind?

6. mc1439 - Jan 3, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Isn’t it kind of racist to show interest in someone of asian ethnicity?

7. cackalackyank - Jan 3, 2014 at 12:09 PM

I read the linked article. I couldn’t help notice that it mentions how the D-backs never made an offer to Choo. The article mentions that this was because they got Trumbo from LAA. I think it was also because they did not want to spend 140 million dollars. I had never heard the “only one Japanese star on the team thing” either. At any rate, if Tanaka wants to win on the MLB stage soon I do not think AZ is the place for him to do it. Even with Trumbo the D-backs are more than a starting pitcher away from beating out LAD.

• uyf1950 - Jan 3, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Interesting that blogs are thinking the Diamondbacks will be major players for Tanaka. Checking both Cots and Baseball Reference if the Diamondbacks were to commit the roughly $20MM per that most seem to think it will take to sigh him that plus the payroll for the other 24 active roster players would put their 2014 payroll at about $120 to $125MM. About $35MM over their 2013 payroll and $45MM over their 2012 payroll and $70MM over their 2011 payroll.

It will be interesting to see if all the talk about the Diamondbacks is much to do about nothing.

• spudchukar - Jan 3, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Sorry my friend, I do not quite “get” your comment. Sure the D-backs total salaries are increasing, most team’s are, (except St. Louis which will drop to about $88mil in 2014), but why exactly shouldn’t they be able to afford a $120-125mil payroll? Phoenix is a thriving megalopolis, and $120mil is about average for a MLB franchise. So why can’t they afford Tanaka?

• uyf1950 - Jan 3, 2014 at 1:44 PM

@ spudchukar, I never said they couldn’t afford Tanaka. I was merely pointing out the factual information about their payroll and it’s progression over the past few years. Personally I believe since almost every MLB team is owned by owners who are wealthy beyond most fans comprehension they ALL can afford Tanaka.

The real question that my previous comment should have generated in my opinion is: Based on their history is the Diamondbacks interest in Tanaka real or a product of over imagination or if someone prefers “tea leaf reading” of certain media types?.

• spudchukar - Jan 3, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Aren’t all “Hot Stove” considerations “tea-leaf reading”?

• uyf1950 - Jan 3, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Yes, but some more then others.

• spudchukar - Jan 3, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Yankee ones on the top of the “more so” category I presume.

• uyf1950 - Jan 3, 2014 at 3:05 PM

@ spudchukar, I was talking about the media types “tea leaf reading” being more the case with some topics than other topics. It had nothing to do with any team or teams.

• uyf1950 - Jan 3, 2014 at 7:44 PM

@ spudchukar, I’m not sure where you are getting your numbers for the Cardinals 2014 payroll: “except St. Louis which will drop to about $88mil in 2014″ because Cot’s already has them committed to $96MM for 2014 for just 9 players. Based on a 25 man active roster the Cardinals 2014 roster could and should easily exceed $120MM.

Here is the link to Cot’s where they show the committed payroll for just 9 players at this point:

• spudchukar - Jan 4, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Cot’s is wrong again. The Cards currently sit around $86ml. They have 3 players going to arbitration, Jay, Motte, and I think Lynn are three salaries that will be adjusted upwards. Currently St. Louis has 8 players that total $72.6 million. All the other players on their rosters make the minimum, which averages out to $8.5 million. Bringing the total to 81.1 million. The raises to the three arbitration players should be about 7 million bringing the total to $88.1mil.

• uyf1950 - Jan 4, 2014 at 11:19 AM

@ spudchukar, sorry but I believe it’s you that is wrong Cot’s which I gave you the link to yesterday had the number I mentioned and just to confirm I went to Baseball Reference and Baseball Prospectus they have virtually the same number as Cot’s. Here are those links:

Now is all honesty given the choice of accepting the numbers of 3 independent sites Cot’s, Baseball-Reference and Baseball Prospectus OR your numbers which do you think most non bias fans would believe are more accurate.

• hildezero - Jan 3, 2014 at 1:40 PM

The Dodgers aren’t even that great of a team. Calm down. Puig and Kershaw are their best players, everybody else are just decent. Don’t you remember when before Puig arrived with the Dodgers, they sucked? Next season this division is gonna come down to the D-backs, Dodgers, and Giants. The Giants can be scary at times though.

8. jamesweltyms - Jan 3, 2014 at 12:30 PM

If the Angels sign Tanaka, which they should do, can they still afford Trout? A consensus building here (http://the-mike-trout-sign-o-meter.com/) is that Trout will cost 11 years and $336MM+.

9. yordo - Jan 3, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Ignore this hogwash. Yankees and Mariners are the only real contenders.

10. uyf1950 - Jan 3, 2014 at 3:42 PM

I’m going to guess that the team that ultimately signs Tanaka gives him a 6 year guaranteed deal in the neighborhood of $110MM = $18MM per with an opt-out after 4 years and some sort of vesting option for a 7th year based on innings pitched during the combined 5th and 6th years of the contract.

• spudchukar - Jan 4, 2014 at 11:02 AM

I bet it will be closer to 10 years and 22-23 million. He is only 25, completing his contract at 34. Teams are beginning to see the value in more years and less money allowing inflation and amortizing to take a bite out of the big deals.

• uyf1950 - Jan 4, 2014 at 3:04 PM

All I can add to your comment is if you are right I really and I mean really hope the Mariners win the rights to his services for the next 10 years. Because in my opinion they still won’t be better than the A’s or Rangers in that division and they will have saddled themselves with 2 “albatross” contracts. One for an aging 2nd baseman who they will be paying into his 40’s and one for a #2 or according to some a #3 starting pitcher without a single inning of MLB experience for the next 10 years. Have a good day.

• spudchukar - Jan 4, 2014 at 3:48 PM

What I still don’t understand is how the Mariner’s will be “saddled” with an #3 starter without an inning of MLB experience, and yet if he signs with the Yankees he wouldn’t bring the exact same baggage, and be just as much of an “albatross”.

• uyf1950 - Jan 4, 2014 at 4:15 PM

@ spudchukar, do you have that much trouble understanding my comments that you reply to? I was referring to your comment about someone signing him to a 10 year deal for $22 to $23MM. I specifically said that I hoped if that was the case the Mariners would sign him then they would be saddled with him. The obvious implication was they would be saddled with another player Cano being the other one with a 10 year deal.

In any of my previous comments about Tanaka have you ever heard/read any of them to say the Yankees should be interested in Tanaka for that length and dollars? The answer is no. As for why he wouldn’t bring the same baggage to the Yankees, it’s because in my opinion I have no doubt, none whatsoever the Yankees would ever consider offering him 10 years at $22 or $23MM per.

• spudchukar - Jan 5, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Then they won’t get him, and won’t compete for the play-offs in 2014.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester