Jan 3, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
The idea is that the Dbacks were already prepared to spend $140 million or more for Shin-Soo Choo and thus have that money available for other uses. Looking around the free agent market right now there aren’t a ton of other great uses of it and the Diamondbacks’ efforts to make a trade for a front line starter have gone nowhere.
Lots of teams have an interest in Tanaka, of course. Matching up that interest with a demonstrated need and, more importantly, a demonstrated willingness and ability to spend the money required is what matters. After reading Rosenthal’s piece, you get the feeling that maybe Arizona is a more serious player than others.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (95)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)