The Astros promote Kevin Goldstein to Director of Professional Scouting

Jan 3, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT

astros logo new

We normally don’t spend much time on sub-GM front office moves, but in this case I’ll make an exception. Why? Because the sub-GM front office move involves a guy I know and, if you’ve read Baseball Prospectus, you know too: Kevin Goldstein. He was just promoted to Director of Professional Scouting by the Astros.

Goldstein originally joined the Astros in August of 2012 as a pro scouting coordinator. Prior to joining the organization, he wrote for both Baseball Prospectus andĀ ESPN specializing in scouting and player development. Many other web-writers and analysts have made the leap to major league front offices, but not in as high a position as Goldstein now occupies. It’s not crazy to think he could be a general manager one day if the Astros rebuild proves successful.

Just an interesting note at a time of year when so many people who write about baseball falsely portray sabermetrics as the haven of out-of-touch spreadsheet jockeys. Interesting because one of the foremost sabermetric websites around has produced a scouting guy as opposed to a numbers cruncher and that he and all the stathead-friendly folks in the Astros front office play nicely together.

1. nategearhart - Jan 3, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Wow, congrats to Kevin! That’s great news.

2. stex52 - Jan 3, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Well, the Astros have certainly committed themselves to the modern approach to analysis.

Now if they could, like, win some games, it would sure help in validating the whole thing.

• jeffa43 - Jan 4, 2014 at 2:27 AM

2015 my good friend… 2014 will be a huge improvement.
      Hope you have a great new year Stex.

3. unclemosesgreen - Jan 3, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Big Kevin Goldstein fan here. I really miss his BP organization top tens – super informative and a formerly valued prospecting voice.

Stex – I really think the Stros are on the right track. It will take a long time, the damage done by Drayton McClane Jr. was deep and systemic and can’t be fixed overnight. But even a voyage of one thousand miles begins with a single step.

• jwbiii - Jan 3, 2014 at 2:38 PM

I agree with completely, but this is too good link to pass up.

• unclemosesgreen - Jan 3, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Now that’s funny. Also a Demotivators fan. My fav was one that went something like: Meetings: None of us is as dumb as all of us.

• jkaflagg - Jan 3, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Yeah, also one of my favorite Demotivators…..agree that Luhnow and staff have done a good job of rebuilding, but this is my greatest fear – despite doing everything “right”, things can still go wrong – injuries, character issues, and guys just not fulfilling their potential….

• stex52 - Jan 3, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Hope so, Uncle Mose. Luhnow certainly seems bright enough and there is no doubt they overhauled it. And, although I didn’t want him to stay as GM, some of Ed Wade’s good draft picks will start showing up at the major league level this year.

But they freely admit that the team was much worse than they thought it would be last year with their stopgaps. I understand the need to rebuild, but you have to retain some kind of marketability as a product.

They flopped at that last year. I would not recommend the total stripdown as a future approach.

• unclemosesgreen - Jan 3, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Total revamp is never the first option. But in this case, it was the only option. McClane bankrupted the farm system in truly epic fashion. I totally back the scorched earth approach in this case.

4. Jason @ IIATMS - Jan 3, 2014 at 2:35 PM

How will Goldstein be director of scouting when he’s still in his Mom’s basement in his underwear?

/Chass’d

5. bfunk1978 - Jan 3, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Of course scouts and nerds can get along. What actually happens in a front office vs. what a curmudgeon represents in sepia-toned articles necessarily diverges because it doesn’t fit the narrative they wish to paint. :p

• bmh9500 - Jan 3, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Probable exception: Seattle Mariners

• bfunk1978 - Jan 3, 2014 at 8:02 PM

True. I guess I should have prefaced it with “what actually happens in a forward-thinking, successful front office”

6. sportsdrenched - Jan 3, 2014 at 5:01 PM

I only know Kevin from his pre-Astro Twitter days. He was an excellent baseball follow and I selfishly wish he was able to tweet like he used to.

All that being said, Congrats, I rooting for the Astros to turn it around. But yeah, need to see some progess with the organization…including some W’s.

7. nymets4ever - Jan 3, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Hopefully having an All-Star Front Office will work out better than it has for my team so far, after Sandy Alderson and his SABRos came in here amid much hype..

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5465)