Jan 3, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
We normally don’t spend much time on sub-GM front office moves, but in this case I’ll make an exception. Why? Because the sub-GM front office move involves a guy I know and, if you’ve read Baseball Prospectus, you know too: Kevin Goldstein. He was just promoted to Director of Professional Scouting by the Astros.
Goldstein originally joined the Astros in August of 2012 as a pro scouting coordinator. Prior to joining the organization, he wrote for both Baseball Prospectus and ESPN specializing in scouting and player development. Many other web-writers and analysts have made the leap to major league front offices, but not in as high a position as Goldstein now occupies. It’s not crazy to think he could be a general manager one day if the Astros rebuild proves successful.
Just an interesting note at a time of year when so many people who write about baseball falsely portray sabermetrics as the haven of out-of-touch spreadsheet jockeys. Interesting because one of the foremost sabermetric websites around has produced a scouting guy as opposed to a numbers cruncher and that he and all the stathead-friendly folks in the Astros front office play nicely together.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)