Jan 3, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
We normally don’t spend much time on sub-GM front office moves, but in this case I’ll make an exception. Why? Because the sub-GM front office move involves a guy I know and, if you’ve read Baseball Prospectus, you know too: Kevin Goldstein. He was just promoted to Director of Professional Scouting by the Astros.
Goldstein originally joined the Astros in August of 2012 as a pro scouting coordinator. Prior to joining the organization, he wrote for both Baseball Prospectus and ESPN specializing in scouting and player development. Many other web-writers and analysts have made the leap to major league front offices, but not in as high a position as Goldstein now occupies. It’s not crazy to think he could be a general manager one day if the Astros rebuild proves successful.
Just an interesting note at a time of year when so many people who write about baseball falsely portray sabermetrics as the haven of out-of-touch spreadsheet jockeys. Interesting because one of the foremost sabermetric websites around has produced a scouting guy as opposed to a numbers cruncher and that he and all the stathead-friendly folks in the Astros front office play nicely together.
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 34
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 9
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 60
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)