Jan 3, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
We normally don’t spend much time on sub-GM front office moves, but in this case I’ll make an exception. Why? Because the sub-GM front office move involves a guy I know and, if you’ve read Baseball Prospectus, you know too: Kevin Goldstein. He was just promoted to Director of Professional Scouting by the Astros.
Goldstein originally joined the Astros in August of 2012 as a pro scouting coordinator. Prior to joining the organization, he wrote for both Baseball Prospectus and ESPN specializing in scouting and player development. Many other web-writers and analysts have made the leap to major league front offices, but not in as high a position as Goldstein now occupies. It’s not crazy to think he could be a general manager one day if the Astros rebuild proves successful.
Just an interesting note at a time of year when so many people who write about baseball falsely portray sabermetrics as the haven of out-of-touch spreadsheet jockeys. Interesting because one of the foremost sabermetric websites around has produced a scouting guy as opposed to a numbers cruncher and that he and all the stathead-friendly folks in the Astros front office play nicely together.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)