Jan 3, 2014, 11:32 AM EST
Meanwhile, in the Midwest League:
@FifthThirdBall park on fire. I am here. pic.twitter.com/Jt5OZIlTWG
— John Gonzalez (@MichiganGonzo) January 3, 2014
Fifth Third Field in Comstock Park, Michigan is the home of the West Michigan Whitecaps, the single-A affiliate of the Detroit Tigers.
Here’s hoping everyone at the ballpark and everyone responding to the fire stays safe.
UPDATE: There is streaming video of the fire here. It looks completely awful. Huge.
UPDATE II: The fire is under control but the damage looks to be extensive. Still, the Whitecaps are striking an optimistic note:
— Dan Harland (@DanHarland) January 3, 2014
Here’s hoping. I’ve not been to this park, but I have friends who have and they say it’s a wonderful baseball experience.
(thanks to Allison for the heads up)
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 41
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)