Jan 3, 2014, 11:32 AM EDT
Meanwhile, in the Midwest League:
@FifthThirdBall park on fire. I am here. pic.twitter.com/Jt5OZIlTWG
— John Gonzalez (@MichiganGonzo) January 3, 2014
Fifth Third Field in Comstock Park, Michigan is the home of the West Michigan Whitecaps, the single-A affiliate of the Detroit Tigers.
Here’s hoping everyone at the ballpark and everyone responding to the fire stays safe.
UPDATE: There is streaming video of the fire here. It looks completely awful. Huge.
UPDATE II: The fire is under control but the damage looks to be extensive. Still, the Whitecaps are striking an optimistic note:
— Dan Harland (@DanHarland) January 3, 2014
Here’s hoping. I’ve not been to this park, but I have friends who have and they say it’s a wonderful baseball experience.
(thanks to Allison for the heads up)
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 136
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 83
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 29
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (143)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (84)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)