Jan 3, 2014, 11:32 AM EDT
Meanwhile, in the Midwest League:
@FifthThirdBall park on fire. I am here. pic.twitter.com/Jt5OZIlTWG
— John Gonzalez (@MichiganGonzo) January 3, 2014
Fifth Third Field in Comstock Park, Michigan is the home of the West Michigan Whitecaps, the single-A affiliate of the Detroit Tigers.
Here’s hoping everyone at the ballpark and everyone responding to the fire stays safe.
UPDATE: There is streaming video of the fire here. It looks completely awful. Huge.
UPDATE II: The fire is under control but the damage looks to be extensive. Still, the Whitecaps are striking an optimistic note:
— Dan Harland (@DanHarland) January 3, 2014
Here’s hoping. I’ve not been to this park, but I have friends who have and they say it’s a wonderful baseball experience.
(thanks to Allison for the heads up)
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 4
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)