Jan 3, 2014, 11:32 AM EDT
Meanwhile, in the Midwest League:
@FifthThirdBall park on fire. I am here. pic.twitter.com/Jt5OZIlTWG
— John Gonzalez (@MichiganGonzo) January 3, 2014
Fifth Third Field in Comstock Park, Michigan is the home of the West Michigan Whitecaps, the single-A affiliate of the Detroit Tigers.
Here’s hoping everyone at the ballpark and everyone responding to the fire stays safe.
UPDATE: There is streaming video of the fire here. It looks completely awful. Huge.
UPDATE II: The fire is under control but the damage looks to be extensive. Still, the Whitecaps are striking an optimistic note:
— Dan Harland (@DanHarland) January 3, 2014
Here’s hoping. I’ve not been to this park, but I have friends who have and they say it’s a wonderful baseball experience.
(thanks to Allison for the heads up)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 97
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 150
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 51
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (150)