Jan 4, 2014, 6:25 PM EST
The Orioles and Mets tossed around trade ideas involving not just first baseman Ike Davis, but second baseman Daniel Murphy, and left fielder/first baseman Lucas Duda as well, reports Eduardo Encina of The Baltimore Sun. He writes that the two teams couldn’t reach an agreement because the Mets wanted Orioles top pitching prospect Eduardo Rodriguez in return.
The Mets are still expected to move at least one of Davis and Duda but a lot of teams have already satisfied their needs for first basemen already. Davis and Murphy are both entering their second year of arbitration eligibility while Duda is entering his first year. The Mets currently have just $45 million committed and would need to double that to reach last year’s Opening Day salary of nearly $94 million, but their focus on making a trade is more about optimal roster construction. Taking Duda out of left field, where he spent most of 2013, and moving him to first base full time in place of Davis gives the Mets a better outfield with Curtis Granderson in left, Juan Lagares in center, and Chris Young in right with Eric Young, Jr. as the fourth outfielder.
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 3
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 1
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 351
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (354)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (72)