Jan 4, 2014, 8:58 AM EST
The Orioles are still unsettled at closer and could use another bat for the designated hitter spot, but Roch Kubatko of MASN Sports hears that adding another starting pitcher is the club’s “primary focus” at this time.
As we have heard throughout the winter, veteran right-hander A.J. Burnett is at the top of their list. However, he has yet to make a decision about whether he plans to continue his playing career. Kubatko doesn’t see big names like Matt Garza, Ubaldo Jimenez or Ervin Santana as a fit, so if Burnett isn’t a possibility, it could be difficult to find a difference-maker. Bronson Arroyo, Paul Maholm, Chris Capuano, Scott Baker, Johan Santana, and Chad Gaudin are among the other starting pitchers still available in free agency. Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette has indicated that he’s more likely to sign a pitcher, but he hasn’t ruled out the possibility of a trade.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 31
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 60
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27