Blue Jays said to be “leading candidates” for either Ervin Santana or Ubaldo Jimenez

Jan 5, 2014, 9:03 AM EDT

blue jays logo

The great Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com shares this scoop:

The Blue Jays, quiet for much of the offseason, still figure to acquire one and possibly two starting pitchers once the logjam caused by [Masahiro] Tanaka starts to resolve.

The Jays are a leading candidate to sign either [Ervin] Santana or [Ubaldo] Jimenez; they have two protected first-round picks, Nos. 9 and 11, and would sacrifice only a second-rounder and the accompanying pool money for one of those free-agent right-handers.

Toronto had a 4.25 staff ERA in 2013, which ranked 25th in MLB. There has been very little talk of a run at Tanaka, who could get over $100 million guaranteed, but the Jays are poised to chase the next best thing once that chip falls into place.

Santana, 31, posted a 3.24 ERA and 1.14 WHIP in 32 starts last year for the Royals, fanning 161 batters in 211 innings. Jimenez, 29, had a 3.30 ERA, 1.33 WHIP and 194 strikeouts in 182 2/3 frames for Cleveland.

The Blue Jays’ three locked-in starters for 2014 are R.A. Dickey, Mark Buehrle and Brandon Morrow.

J.A. Happ could win a spot and there’s still some shred of hope for 26-year-old righty Kyle Drabek.

1. unclemosesgreen - Jan 5, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Not totally sure who your source is on this one. I’m only familiar with the “thoroughly mediocre” Ken Rosenthal.

WHIP notwithstanding, I’d rather take a run at Ubaldo if I’m Toronto. Ervin Santana’s longball proclivities could be frightening at Rogers Centre.

Either way – these are going to be expensive players, both in terms of dollars and picks. That’s a lot of organization capital to invest in a 3rd starter-quality-pitcher.

Unfortunately, this sad story of slim pickins means it’s now time to cue Unclean Harold …

• proudlycanadian - Jan 5, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Please do not tempt the filthy one.

• unclemosesgreen - Jan 5, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Whether I tempt him or not, that headline will be irresistible. He’s been dragging his knuckles across HBT again lately.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jan 6, 2014 at 8:43 PM

who is kidding who here? The jays can’t afford Ubaldo and I don’t think they can afford Santana but how I wish they could cause that guy would give up 65 bombs if he pitched in the AL east. Bottom line is this, AA is barely holding onto this job and yes that’s been reported and last season when the jays finally did open their wallets they got burned badly last season. Its time to stop writing this junk, the jays will not be spending big bucks on anyone

• proudlycanadian - Jan 7, 2014 at 7:59 AM

Looks like it finally got over its New Years hangover and posted some drivel.

• drewzducks - Jan 5, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Doesn’t everyone have an old, dirty uncle? You know, the type who everyone tries to avoid at family functions or funerals, unless of course it’s his own.

2. cur68 - Jan 5, 2014 at 9:26 AM

They both had very good seasons in 2013. Historically? Well,

ERA+ Santana career = 100
    Jiminez: 112

Way more homers: Santana

Pitched well in hitters parks: Jiminez.

No brainer: Hope its Jiminez. Pity he’s mental.

• unclemosesgreen - Jan 5, 2014 at 9:38 AM

I’m positively aglow with confirmation bias, many thanks.

• unclemosesgreen - Jan 5, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Also, not for nothing, but “being mental” is standard enough amongst pitchers as to seem a prerequisite for goodness.

• nbjays - Jan 5, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Mental can be good or bad.

Good mental pitchers include Bob Gibson, Don Drysdale, Rube Waddell and Dizzy Dean.

Bad mental pitchers include John Rocker, Rob Dibble, Mitch Williams and Grant Balfour.

Please let him be good mental.

• cur68 - Jan 5, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Frankly I think Our Boys need some mental. Someone just a bit out there. Anything to light a fire under the pitching. Our hitting was lights out last season, but Beaver Pitching was Ballz.

• drewzducks - Jan 5, 2014 at 1:36 PM

I’m hoping for Alfredo Aceves mental.

• cur68 - Jan 5, 2014 at 10:09 PM

There can only be ONE Aceves-mental, thank Dog. Ubaldo-Mental is a whole different kind of mental.

3. proudlycanadian - Jan 5, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Not sure if they are going to sign either. On the other hand, their price has probably been coming down. One pitcher not mentioned by Rosenthal is Drew Hutchinson. Like Drabek, he is coming off TJ surgery. Hutchinson has more upside than Happ and Drabek.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jan 6, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Hutchinson will end up jst like drabek and the rest of the bluejay busts of yesterday, they easily have the worst farm system in baseball

• proudlycanadian - Jan 7, 2014 at 5:02 PM

May you have a happy snow week Harry.

• proudlycanadian - Jan 7, 2014 at 8:01 AM

I suspect that The Yankees might be more interested in these two pitchers than the Jays.

4. nymets4ever - Jan 5, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Why does it seem like baseball writers are always on one extreme or the other, i.e. at each other’s necks about stuff like Hall of Fame voting and the like, or pointlessly jerking each other off by prefacing their names with “the great” and “the excellent”? Just name the source and call it a day already, jeez.

• unclemosesgreen - Jan 5, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Why does it seem like every time you post you sound 3% crazier?

• Old Gator - Jan 5, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Why is it that you keep on reading these people if you can’t stand the way the write, not to mention barging in here solely to disgorge bile? Isn’t there a bariatric procedure for your gall bladder that might make your posts less reflexively belligerent and spiteful?

• Old Gator - Jan 5, 2014 at 12:53 PM

• nymets4ever - Jan 5, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Whoa! Easy on the Reply button there, gramps. Trust me, one of your inane ramblings is plenty more than enough.

• Old Gator - Jan 5, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Okay, so the brain-stapling procedure worked well enough, and you can’t assimilate the same text twice within a matter of seconds. That’s a bit of progress, at least. Now, about that overactive bile duct of yours….

• nymets4ever - Jan 5, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Haha, and THIS is why I love arguing with you – it serves as a sobering reminder of the truly ugly, disgusting impact the lattermost stages of the aging process can have on some of us, and what exactly I should strive NOT to be like when I get to be an old fogey like you.

But I suppose the laser-like focus on bodily functions is only natural from an ancient fossil like yourself, whose daily highlight is to flirt with your on-call nurse as she outfits you with fresh new diapers to replace the ones you’ve soiled. Haha

• Old Gator - Jan 5, 2014 at 3:56 PM

I’m glad you find yourself so amusing, because no one else does. But then, mental masturbation is surely a bodily function of a sort itself. Anyway, you’re not arguing with me – you’re arguing with an abyssally cliched straw man at the very limits of your minimal and pronouncedly juvenile rhetorical skills. For all you know I could be a year younger than you, although I grant you that an eleven year old with a developed vocabulary would be a rare thing indeed.

With the possible exception of Poor Dim Harry, our virtual village idiot, you’re easily the most unpleasant excuse for a correspondent on this blog. Moses has you pegged. You contribute nothingZZ of value.

• nymets4ever - Jan 5, 2014 at 5:01 PM

lol aww, do you really think I’m gonna back down, you creepy, disgusting geezer? Think again, old fart – and oh yeah, keep conveniently writing everything off as “straw men” whenever you can’t win an argument; at your age, I don’t blame you for not having the energy to carry on a debate for more than a post or two before succumbing to senile nonsensical ramblings in a vain attempt to impress your little Internet stranger friends.

Hell, you don’t even have the energy to rub one out every now and again – but then, that’s what you have your paid assistants like unclemosesgreen and cur68 for. Haha

• Old Gator - Jan 5, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Back down? Not at all. Your kind of stupidity is so intransigent that it can’t recognize itself. I’d compare that to Jung’s Yahweh unable to recognize the Satan within himself, but I’d feel silly giving you credit for having the slightest idea of what I’m talking about. You need to pull “paid assistants” out of your backside because, as part of your inability to understand what an infantile gibbering buffoon you sound like, you can’t comprehend why others find you just as puerile and obnoxious as I do. You don’t even count as a troll. You just come across as a case of morbidly arrested development who’s mad at the world. If you think I’m some kind of example of the vicissitudes of the aging process, you ought to look in the mirror and check out what a failure of the aging process process looks like.

• tuberippin - Jan 5, 2014 at 7:58 PM

I didn’t think it possible, but nymets4ever has actually managed to suck more than the franchise (s)he roots for. Posted a comment that had absolutely nothing to do with the content of the original post. Note that nowhere in the original post was your proposal evident: no mention of “the great” or “the excellent,” nor any writers “at one another’s throats.”

Moreover, learn a little about what remains of the joke we now call journalism, ffs. Conflicting sources are part and parcel of journalism. I also love when idiots such as yourself come out with the “NAME THE SOURCE” nonsense. You do realize that if every person who doles out a small bit of information (right or wrong) to the press were required to also give their real name, we would have almost no information being given to the press, right?

• Old Gator - Jan 5, 2014 at 9:15 PM

It prolly behooves nymuttsfever to learn about another profession called “fire fighting” first. He’s not likely to get himself fried fighting journalists, but he apparently believes every peripheral oaf ought to fling himself headfirst into a professional emergency situation. And then imagine how vociferously he would bellyache on here about how long it took the local hook and ladder company to pull his nates from the cooker.

• nymets4ever - Jan 5, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Roh-roh, grampy’s getting grumpy again! For someone who tries to act all high and mighty and above everyone and everything, you sure do spend a lot of time rummaging through that thesaurus of yours in ever-increasingly pitiful, petty attempts to lash out at me.

And really, what did I even do to earn all this geriatric rage of yours anyway? Granted, for someone whose crowning real-life achievement these days is to go three straight hours without soiling your diaper, you HAVE built up quite an impressive stable of Internet buttbuddies – but are you really THIS rattled by my refusal to be one of them?

Because the cold truth is, you can make your retarded, irrelevant literary references and pop-culture tie-ins till the cows come home, and I will never swoon over them the way your cute little legion of mindless e-sheep do. Sowwy, gwamps! – that little reality check must’ve hurt. But hey, just snap your arthritic fingers and summon one of those e-pals of yours to blow you again or something – lord knows they’re at your beck and call. Haha

• Old Gator - Jan 6, 2014 at 6:50 AM

Oh there’s no reason to lash out at a bilious jackwagon who can’t write a single post without reviling someone or something, vomits trite age jokes as if he’d eaten the wrong mushroom, seems to be furiously jealous about my education and obsessed with my bowel movements. What earned you my contempt – and, as you can see but won’t admit, the contempt of an increasing number of other correspondents here – is your rotten attitude, mindless anger, unhinged demeanor and gratuitous histrionics. Of course no one is at my beck and call, as you well know. They’ve found you repulsive very much on their own, and very much thanks to your own behavior. For you to sit there, stewing perpetually in your own juices – mostly noradrenaline, from the sound of it – while lashing out at just about everything with the self-control of a wounded badger and calling anyone else a cyber-bully is a textbook case of Freudian projection. I bet your mirrors are all covered with cheesecloth.

• nymets4ever - Jan 6, 2014 at 8:27 AM

You’re right, you’re absolutely right…the Gator Circlejerk Club is NOT at your beck and call – that would seem to imply that their participation is purely voluntary. Truth is, I hear you pay them quite handsomely for their, ahem, services. More than the entire Marlins payroll after their latest talent purge, even. lol

• unclemosesgreen - Jan 5, 2014 at 2:09 PM

You aren’t arguing with anyone – you’re just ranting like a lunatic. Nothing you say makes even the slightest bit of sense. Your sense of ‘humor’ tends to the sociopathic / scatological / pre-teen side of the graph. It would be one thing if you had something of interest to contribute, but you don’t. You really really don’t.

As a complete irrelevance, you’ve at least chosen the right team to root for.

• Old Gator - Jan 5, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Mose – let’s take a short break from skirmishing with mental midgetry. I want to recommend to you the new collection of novellas from Jim Harrison, Brown Dog. If you don’t know Harrison, this is a great place to start. Brown Dog is a character he invented about two and a half decades ago who’s been showing up periodically in Harrison’s collections of novellas and short stories – a Chippewa mixed breed everyman with a perpetually elevated testosterone count out of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan whose misadventures take him from coast to coast and on into Canada with is fellow ‘skins. He’s one of the great tragicomic figures in American literature, a postmodernist picaro in the grand style. Harrison’s publisher, in their infinite wisdom, have finally gathered all the BD stories together in one treasurable volume, crowned with a brand new entry. For your spirit’s sake, go get this book.

And thet thar piece of advice is my belated Festivus present for you. Happy Kwanzaa!

• unclemosesgreen - Jan 5, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Many thanks, my benevolent book list despot. I’m currently in the middle of Cities of the Plain and periodically reaching for my new holiday book – Allen Ginsburg 1947-1997 anthology.

• Old Gator - Jan 5, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Have you gotten to the feral dog hunt yet? Harrowing stuff….

As far as Ginsberg, check out the film Howl, about Ferlinghetti’s obscenity trial for publishing the eponymous poem. James Franco – who can be, I know, unbearably ubiquitous, absolutely nails the 29-year-old Ginsberg prepping for his premiere reading of the poem at the Six Gallery. All around terrific job of representing the trial and the poem.

• unclemosesgreen - Jan 5, 2014 at 4:43 PM

I plan to set aside my distaste for James Franco to check that out soon.

• unclemosesgreen - Jan 5, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Not to the feral dog hunt yet. But it must resemble the Is Football Dying comment pages.

• cur68 - Jan 5, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Holy guacamole: did you drag me into your insult-a-thon with Gator?! Why you cretin. I was leaving you alone, in spite of your ludicrous comments, but now that you’ve started with me, bring it, moron.

I have no idea why Gator bothers with you. He’s a legitimately famous and accomplished person (and I mean internationally so). He’s got WAY better things to do with his time than bandy words with a half-wit like you. Count yourself as favoured that he does but then you should be damn embarrassed that he holds you in such contempt.

As for your style of insults: lets see we have bodily function comments, age related comments, onanistic comments…man. You a peach, son. You’re fixated on male parts and with bodily functions and are afraid of getting old. You think one’s age is an insult.

Pro-tip, ya donkey: it is not. With age should come wisdom and maturity. Things you appear to have neither of. Now if I’m insulting a child (and I might be, given how you appear to be wired up with the insults) then I apologize: if we all get hung with the dumb stuff we say when we’re teenagers, then this world would be barren of us. If you a grown ass man, then you are picking on a weight class way over your head, dude.

What did the poor suffering Mets do to deserve you, fool?

• nymets4ever - Jan 5, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Whoahwoahoahwhoa let’s back things up a second – you think I’m impressed and/or intimidated by Old Geezer? Hahaha, best joke I’ve heard all day. Actually, it might only be the SECOND best joke – the best one was when you implied that I need to be like all the other mindless, spineless sheep on here and join the unconditional diety-worship e-deference circlejerk over that turd, and meekly cower away even when directly insulted by that old prick.

I don’t care if you’re Mother Teresa. Disrespect me, expect disrespect back. Haha, sorry I crashed the party.

• cur68 - Jan 5, 2014 at 10:37 PM

When you get over your oedipal complex and stop yearning for your mommy to change you like she used to, sonny, get back to us. Otherwise, you are beneath contempt.

Do go to bed: you have school tomorrow.

• nymets4ever - Jan 5, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Translation – you have absolutely nothing new to bring to the table, so you decided to dust off the ancient “It’s past your bedtime” comeback and fashion it as something new and impressive. Haha

Oh, and I love the rich, rich irony of you claiming that I’m ‘beneath contempt’ and then promptly proceeding to show your…contempt. And then implying that I’m on my mother’s teat even as you spew out the exact type of esoteric garbage insults that I’d expect from just another one of Gator’s little Mini-Me lapdogs.

It must really bother you that I actually have a shred of autonomy and refuse to participate in the Gator Circlejerk Club…oh, the humanity, eh?

• cur68 - Jan 5, 2014 at 10:53 PM

Good night, kid. Study hard. Try to learn and grow each day, eh? Frankly, you worry me. Up late, insulting your betters, attempting to use schoolyard invective like you’re a grown up.

Man. Its pathetic. And, frankly. I’m embarrassed for you. In time, with maturity and hindsight you’ll look back on this. Don’t let the shame cripple you.

• nymets4ever - Jan 5, 2014 at 11:00 PM

I share similar sentiments for how you and many of your fellow posters will look back on your participation in the Gator Circlejerk Club…on the off-chance that any of you guys ever leave it.

• cur68 - Jan 5, 2014 at 11:18 PM

Goodness. Still up, moron? Lack of sleep will make your already slow faculties that much worse, y’know?

Well then. Since I’m being paid to be up all night tonight, and I’m between patients at the mo, I think I shall engage in some charity work on your behalf: let it never be said that I didn’t try to he’p The Chid-Ren!

Step One: bathing. Hygiene is important in a youth. Girls don’t like guys that smell of armpits

Step Two: zit squeezing. Best done at home with the bathroom door shut. Stop doing it in class.

Step Three: Clothing. Wear some.

Step Four: Brushing Our Teef. Do it more than once/week, eh? Otherwise you’ll finish up like dirtyharry with but one nasty ole toof, barely clinging to life in that noisome gob of his.

Step Five: Groom a bit. Y’know, comb your hair, wash the ole punim. That sort of thing. Ladies like a face free of crust and hair that looks like mummy cared.

Get biddy wid’at and then let me know if you’ve made any progress with the fairer sex, eh? And by “fairer sex” I do not mean your favourite porn site! Real Women Are Better.

• nymets4ever - Jan 6, 2014 at 8:22 AM

Good lord…for the sake of humanity, I certainly hope you’re more skillful at dealing with your “patients” (by the way, just so we’re on the same page – that IS code for “69′ing with Old Gator”, correct?) than you are at Internet arguments, bucko. But don’t stop now, slugger – aren’t there any more baseless, brainless, tired old cliches you’d like to trot out there in the sheer, utter absence of anything legitimate to counter me with? Haha

• cur68 - Jan 6, 2014 at 8:28 AM

Have a good day at school, young fella. Be sure and wash properly, eh? I’m going to get some sleep. I ‘spect you’ll work up some more bodily output/male organ related quips with your buddies.

Look up “word association test” when you get a minute, mmkay? Its very revealing for how your subject thinks or what they’re fixated on. And amusing.

Cheers, sonny.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jan 6, 2014 at 8:50 PM

I may not be a mets fan and never will but I really admire nymet4ever’s posts on here, this guy is a breath of fresh air on this otherwise lame azz board. I gave you 1 thumb up for each thing you wrote, the only reason it was 1 is because this dumb thing wouldn’t let me give you 5000 thumb’s up. I look forward to see more of your posts in the future, keep up the good work!

• cur68 - Jan 6, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Gee thanks, ‘harry. Didn’t know you cared. Go bathe.

5. uyf1950 - Jan 5, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Oh no you mean to tell us that there is one team that may not be is on Tanaka, how can that be.

• Old Gator - Jan 5, 2014 at 12:54 PM

A bunch of general managers got crammed together in has agent’s door. They’ve sent for a truck and winch.

6. Kevin Gillman - Jan 5, 2014 at 4:17 PM

So the Indians get screwed there since they don’t get the Jays first round pick if they signed Ubaldo? Yeah, I hope he goes somewhere else then. Sign Santana instead.

• proudlycanadian - Jan 5, 2014 at 4:25 PM

The compensation rules changed this year. Nobody gets the other team’s draft pick.

• Kevin Gillman - Jan 5, 2014 at 4:29 PM

But they do get an extra pick, which is why players like Ubaldo and Santana might go to their former teams anyway. I had read that on this very blog last month. Then again, I know a big reason why some of these pitchers have been signed yet is because of the Tanaka fiasco, don’t get me started on that one…LOL

7. chunkala - Jan 5, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Neither would survive pitching in the AL East, especially Santana.

8. dirtyharry1971smissingbrain - Jan 5, 2014 at 10:49 PM

I’m so sick of that fool Harry. I’ve left him. Think I’ll hang out here for a while….

• nbjays - Jan 6, 2014 at 7:41 AM

Are you for real?

No, seriously… I mean… who actually thought ol’ harry even HAD a brain?

• dirtyharry1971smissingbrain - Jan 9, 2014 at 1:18 PM