Jan 5, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
Zach Links of MLB Trade Rumors hears from a source that “about half a dozen teams” have expressed interest in free agent pitcher Brett Tomko. We learned a couple weeks ago that he plans to audition for teams this month in an attempt at a comeback as the 40-year-old right-hander hasn’t thrown a pitch in the big leagues since 2011 with the Rangers.
Tomko dealt with elbow and shoulder issues in 2008 and ’09. Since 2010, Tomko has mostly bounced around in the Minor Leagues, spending time in the systems of the Athletics, Rangers, Reds, and Diamondbacks. He spent 2013 with the York Revolution of the Atlantic League, posting a 4.98 ERA in 124.2 innings of work spanning 19 starts.
Links adds that Tomko is willing to take a Minor League deal. Further, he is willing to mentor young pitchers which will be one point in his favor as he attempts to find employment. He is also willing to pitch out of the bullpen if necessary.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 70
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)