Jan 5, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
Zach Links of MLB Trade Rumors hears from a source that “about half a dozen teams” have expressed interest in free agent pitcher Brett Tomko. We learned a couple weeks ago that he plans to audition for teams this month in an attempt at a comeback as the 40-year-old right-hander hasn’t thrown a pitch in the big leagues since 2011 with the Rangers.
Tomko dealt with elbow and shoulder issues in 2008 and ’09. Since 2010, Tomko has mostly bounced around in the Minor Leagues, spending time in the systems of the Athletics, Rangers, Reds, and Diamondbacks. He spent 2013 with the York Revolution of the Atlantic League, posting a 4.98 ERA in 124.2 innings of work spanning 19 starts.
Links adds that Tomko is willing to take a Minor League deal. Further, he is willing to mentor young pitchers which will be one point in his favor as he attempts to find employment. He is also willing to pitch out of the bullpen if necessary.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 58
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 74
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 68
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 99
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (100)
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (97)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)