Jan 5, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
Zach Links of MLB Trade Rumors hears from a source that “about half a dozen teams” have expressed interest in free agent pitcher Brett Tomko. We learned a couple weeks ago that he plans to audition for teams this month in an attempt at a comeback as the 40-year-old right-hander hasn’t thrown a pitch in the big leagues since 2011 with the Rangers.
Tomko dealt with elbow and shoulder issues in 2008 and ’09. Since 2010, Tomko has mostly bounced around in the Minor Leagues, spending time in the systems of the Athletics, Rangers, Reds, and Diamondbacks. He spent 2013 with the York Revolution of the Atlantic League, posting a 4.98 ERA in 124.2 innings of work spanning 19 starts.
Links adds that Tomko is willing to take a Minor League deal. Further, he is willing to mentor young pitchers which will be one point in his favor as he attempts to find employment. He is also willing to pitch out of the bullpen if necessary.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 0
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 36
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 14
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 31
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)