Jan 5, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
The Padres have announced that broadcaster and former player and manager Jerry Coleman has passed away at the age of 89. Coleman spent nine seasons from 1949-1957 in the Majors as a player, all with the Yankees. He earned a spot on the 1950 All-Star team and helped the Yankees sweep the Phillies 4-0 in the World Series the same year. Coleman had a brief stint as a manager, taking over the Padres in 1980, leading them to a 73-89 record.
In 1960, Coleman began his broadcasting career, taking a job with CBS television. Starting in 1963 and lasting for seven years, Coleman called Yankees games for WCBS radio and WPIX television. He called Angels games in 1970-71, then became the Padres’ lead radio announcer — a position he had held ever since. Coleman was honored for his work in 2005 as a recipient of the Ford C. Frick Award from the National Baseball Hall of Fame. He was inducted into the National Radio Hall of Fame in 2007.
We extend our sincere condolences to the Coleman family.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)