Jan 5, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
From Ken Rosenthal’s latest FOX Sports notebook:
Don’t be surprised if the Diamondbacks trade right-hander J.J. Putz following their addition of former White Sox closer Addison Reed. Putz is signed for $7 million in 2014, and the D-backs most likely would be required to accept a comparable salary in return.
Rosenthal suggests that Yankees outfielder Ichiro Suzuki might be a potential fit, but Arizona is pretty loaded on that end between Mark Trumbo, Gerardo Parra and A.J. Pollock. There’s also Cody Ross, who is expected to be recovered from August 2013 hip surgery a month or two into the 2014 regular season.
Putz, 36, posted a 2.36 ERA in 34 1/3 innings last year. If he sticks around for 2014, he’ll set up for Reed.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)