Jan 5, 2014, 10:51 AM EST
From Ken Rosenthal’s latest FOX Sports notebook:
Don’t be surprised if the Diamondbacks trade right-hander J.J. Putz following their addition of former White Sox closer Addison Reed. Putz is signed for $7 million in 2014, and the D-backs most likely would be required to accept a comparable salary in return.
Rosenthal suggests that Yankees outfielder Ichiro Suzuki might be a potential fit, but Arizona is pretty loaded on that end between Mark Trumbo, Gerardo Parra and A.J. Pollock. There’s also Cody Ross, who is expected to be recovered from August 2013 hip surgery a month or two into the 2014 regular season.
Putz, 36, posted a 2.36 ERA in 34 1/3 innings last year. If he sticks around for 2014, he’ll set up for Reed.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 107
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 39
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 5
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 4
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 367
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (367)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (107)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)