Jan 5, 2014, 10:51 AM EST
From Ken Rosenthal’s latest FOX Sports notebook:
Don’t be surprised if the Diamondbacks trade right-hander J.J. Putz following their addition of former White Sox closer Addison Reed. Putz is signed for $7 million in 2014, and the D-backs most likely would be required to accept a comparable salary in return.
Rosenthal suggests that Yankees outfielder Ichiro Suzuki might be a potential fit, but Arizona is pretty loaded on that end between Mark Trumbo, Gerardo Parra and A.J. Pollock. There’s also Cody Ross, who is expected to be recovered from August 2013 hip surgery a month or two into the 2014 regular season.
Putz, 36, posted a 2.36 ERA in 34 1/3 innings last year. If he sticks around for 2014, he’ll set up for Reed.
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 18
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 30
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 81
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)