Jan 5, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
From Ken Rosenthal’s latest FOX Sports notebook:
Don’t be surprised if the Diamondbacks trade right-hander J.J. Putz following their addition of former White Sox closer Addison Reed. Putz is signed for $7 million in 2014, and the D-backs most likely would be required to accept a comparable salary in return.
Rosenthal suggests that Yankees outfielder Ichiro Suzuki might be a potential fit, but Arizona is pretty loaded on that end between Mark Trumbo, Gerardo Parra and A.J. Pollock. There’s also Cody Ross, who is expected to be recovered from August 2013 hip surgery a month or two into the 2014 regular season.
Putz, 36, posted a 2.36 ERA in 34 1/3 innings last year. If he sticks around for 2014, he’ll set up for Reed.
- Dustin Pedroia returns to Red Sox starting lineup 1
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 94
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 11
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 230
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (230)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (105)