Jan 5, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
The Reds’ rotation appears to be set, but John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer suggests the team could trade Homer Bailey to create room in the payroll for one more free agent signing. Fay does mention that the Reds wouldn’t sign a free agent like Nelson Cruz or Stephen Drew.
Bailey, 27, is eligible for arbitration for the final time going into the 2014 season. He will get a raise over last season’s $5.35 million salary, especially since he had the best season of his career (3.49 ERA in 209 innings) and threw a no-hitter. Fay writes that it makes sense for the Reds to move Bailey if they don’t think they can sign him to a contract extension.
If the Reds do trade Bailey, they could reunite with starter Bronson Arroyo, whose market hasn’t been nearly as strong as anticipated as he remains available in the free agent market.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)