Jan 5, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
The Reds’ rotation appears to be set, but John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer suggests the team could trade Homer Bailey to create room in the payroll for one more free agent signing. Fay does mention that the Reds wouldn’t sign a free agent like Nelson Cruz or Stephen Drew.
Bailey, 27, is eligible for arbitration for the final time going into the 2014 season. He will get a raise over last season’s $5.35 million salary, especially since he had the best season of his career (3.49 ERA in 209 innings) and threw a no-hitter. Fay writes that it makes sense for the Reds to move Bailey if they don’t think they can sign him to a contract extension.
If the Reds do trade Bailey, they could reunite with starter Bronson Arroyo, whose market hasn’t been nearly as strong as anticipated as he remains available in the free agent market.
Sep 2, 2014, 1:13 PM EDT
Polanco went 4-for-26 (.153) during his brief demotion and was in a nasty two-month slump before being sent down, hitting just .204 with a .564 in his last 40 games.
Sep 2, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Toronto transferred infielder Brett Lawrie from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day disabled list, which means he won’t be eligible to return to the active roster before the season ends.
Sep 2, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Gambling on baseball is dumb. But Kershaw for the Cy Young Award is a pretty safe bet.
Sep 2, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT
Adams has thrown just 42 total innings for the Phillies with a month remaining in a two-year, $12 million contract.
Sep 2, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT
Or: meanwhile in weird concessions . . .
Sep 2, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Neftali Feliz has regained the Rangers’ closer role, but not his old velocity.
Sep 2, 2014, 11:02 AM EDT
And if their shovels are as good as their bats have been lately, they’ll probably dig a hole three miles off target and a month too late.
Sep 2, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Among the Giants’ call-ups for September 1 roster expansion is 27-year-old right-hander Brett Bochy, who in addition to being a Triple-A reliever also happens to be manager Bruce Bochy’s son.
Sep 2, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Credit to Joe Girardi, perhaps?
Sep 2, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Overall this season the impending free agent has a 6.03 ERA in 25 starts for the Indians and Cardinals.
Sep 2, 2014, 10:01 AM EDT
Bright side: The Nats’ lead is big enough to where he can rest as much as he needs to in September.
Sep 2, 2014, 9:21 AM EDT
Maybe Houston is totally dysfunctional. But the idea that Porter didn’t know what he was getting into is off base.
Sep 2, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT
Preserved the shutout too.
Sep 2, 2014, 7:10 AM EDT
Four Phillies combine for the no-no. I’m actually surprised we haven’t seen more of these in recent years.
Sep 1, 2014, 11:17 PM EDT
Miguel Cabrera had just one home run in August. He doubled that today.
Sep 1, 2014, 10:09 PM EDT
Bailey is currently deciding whether to undergo surgery for a flexor mass strain in his right elbow.
Jorge Soler is third player in last 100 years with an extra-base hit in each of his first five games
Sep 1, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
Enos Slaughter (1933) and Will Middlebrooks (2012) are the only others.
Sep 1, 2014, 8:12 PM EDT
Acquired from the White Sox on Sunday, Adam Dunn made an instant impact in his A’s debut this afternoon.
Sep 1, 2014, 7:21 PM EDT
Franco got off to a slow start this season, but he has been on a tear in Triple-A since the start of July.
Sep 1, 2014, 6:31 PM EDT
The Brewers have had at least a share of first place since April 4.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 40
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 47
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 27
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 59
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)