Jan 6, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT
Cleveland has agreed to a minor-league contract with 37-year-old reliever Scott Atchison, who spent last season with the Mets.
Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Atchison will get an invitation to spring training after throwing 45 innings with a 4.37 ERA and 28/12 K/BB ratio last year.
He hasn’t been very durable and at 37 that’s unlikely to change, but Atchison has a combined 3.47 ERA in 187 innings since 2010 and obviously the price is right.
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 4
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 17
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 23
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- Zack Greinke’s scoreless innings streak ends at 45 2/3 7
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)