Jan 6, 2014, 2:45 PM EST
Journeyman catcher Humberto Quintero has re-signed with the Mariners on a minor-league contract that includes an invitation to spring training.
Quintero has played 11 seasons in the majors for five different teams without ever topping 300 plate appearances in any year, but at age 34 he’s pretty borderline as even a backup-caliber catcher.
Last season he hit .237 with four homers and a .642 OPS in 46 games for the Mariners and Phillies, which was actually Quintero’s best OPS since 2009.
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 0
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 34
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 61
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15