Jan 6, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT
Journeyman catcher Humberto Quintero has re-signed with the Mariners on a minor-league contract that includes an invitation to spring training.
Quintero has played 11 seasons in the majors for five different teams without ever topping 300 plate appearances in any year, but at age 34 he’s pretty borderline as even a backup-caliber catcher.
Last season he hit .237 with four homers and a .642 OPS in 46 games for the Mariners and Phillies, which was actually Quintero’s best OPS since 2009.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (85)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (76)