Jan 7, 2014, 3:26 PM EDT
A deal is done:
Our @ramonashelburne reporting that the Dodgers have reached an extension agreement with Don Mattingly; official announcement forthcoming.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) January 7, 2014
Ken Rosenthal reports that the deal will cover three seasons — 2014-16 — which means tearing up the one year left on his current deal. Money is not reported yet, but we don’t always hear about manager money for some reason.
The Dodgers have gone 260-225 under Mattingly. And, so far anyway, he has kept Yasiel Puig from murdering anyone. So yes, an extension appears to be in order.
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 65
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 2
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 145
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 10
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (145)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)