Jan 7, 2014, 3:26 PM EDT
A deal is done:
Our @ramonashelburne reporting that the Dodgers have reached an extension agreement with Don Mattingly; official announcement forthcoming.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) January 7, 2014
Ken Rosenthal reports that the deal will cover three seasons — 2014-16 — which means tearing up the one year left on his current deal. Money is not reported yet, but we don’t always hear about manager money for some reason.
The Dodgers have gone 260-225 under Mattingly. And, so far anyway, he has kept Yasiel Puig from murdering anyone. So yes, an extension appears to be in order.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)