Jan 7, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT
Tony Lastoria of IndiansBaseballInsider.com wrote Monday that the Indians “are very interested in signing” free agent Bobby Abreu, but FOX Sports’ Jon Morosi heard Tuesday that no offer had yet been made and now comes this followup report from Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer:
Heard Tribe not all that interested in Bobby Abreu.
— paul hoynes (@hoynsie) January 7, 2014
Abreu has been putting up big numbers this offseason in the Venezuelan Winter League, but he did not play affiliated ball in 2013 and he had a rough .693 OPS in 2012 with the Angels and Dodgers.
The 39-year-old — he turns 40 in March — will continue to struggle in his search for a minor league deal.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 34
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 38
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 77
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (214)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)