Jan 7, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT
Tony Lastoria of IndiansBaseballInsider.com wrote Monday that the Indians “are very interested in signing” free agent Bobby Abreu, but FOX Sports’ Jon Morosi heard Tuesday that no offer had yet been made and now comes this followup report from Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer:
Heard Tribe not all that interested in Bobby Abreu.
— paul hoynes (@hoynsie) January 7, 2014
Abreu has been putting up big numbers this offseason in the Venezuelan Winter League, but he did not play affiliated ball in 2013 and he had a rough .693 OPS in 2012 with the Angels and Dodgers.
The 39-year-old — he turns 40 in March — will continue to struggle in his search for a minor league deal.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 5
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)