Jan 7, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT
Tony Lastoria of IndiansBaseballInsider.com wrote Monday that the Indians “are very interested in signing” free agent Bobby Abreu, but FOX Sports’ Jon Morosi heard Tuesday that no offer had yet been made and now comes this followup report from Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer:
Heard Tribe not all that interested in Bobby Abreu.
— paul hoynes (@hoynsie) January 7, 2014
Abreu has been putting up big numbers this offseason in the Venezuelan Winter League, but he did not play affiliated ball in 2013 and he had a rough .693 OPS in 2012 with the Angels and Dodgers.
The 39-year-old — he turns 40 in March — will continue to struggle in his search for a minor league deal.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)