Jan 7, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT
Tony Lastoria of IndiansBaseballInsider.com wrote Monday that the Indians “are very interested in signing” free agent Bobby Abreu, but FOX Sports’ Jon Morosi heard Tuesday that no offer had yet been made and now comes this followup report from Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer:
Heard Tribe not all that interested in Bobby Abreu.
— paul hoynes (@hoynsie) January 7, 2014
Abreu has been putting up big numbers this offseason in the Venezuelan Winter League, but he did not play affiliated ball in 2013 and he had a rough .693 OPS in 2012 with the Angels and Dodgers.
The 39-year-old — he turns 40 in March — will continue to struggle in his search for a minor league deal.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 8
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 214
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (214)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)