Jan 7, 2014, 10:54 AM EST
The linked article is about way more than that. It’s Brian McTaggart of MLB.com talking with Jeff Bagwell about a number of things. Which is notable, because Bagwell has become a relative recluse since leaving the game. Or, at the very least, does’t give a lot of interviews.
But he talks about his Hall of Fame chances. About how he cares more that long-time teammate Craig Biggio gets in than him. He talks about when he was a non-prospect in the Red Sox organization and how Houston gave him a shot. And how Ken Caminiti took him under his wing “for good and for bad but mostly for good” once he was traded to the Astros.
But my favorite bit in there is him talking about his move from third base to first base and how he was having trouble with it. And how, one day, during a pitching change in an Astros-Cardinals game, Ozzie Smith gave him some fielding advice while he was standing on first base. Just kind of neat and remarkable.
Good story. And while I’m not holding my breath, here’s hoping a postscript with his Hall of Fame induction can be added tomorrow.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)