Jan 7, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT
The linked article is about way more than that. It’s Brian McTaggart of MLB.com talking with Jeff Bagwell about a number of things. Which is notable, because Bagwell has become a relative recluse since leaving the game. Or, at the very least, does’t give a lot of interviews.
But he talks about his Hall of Fame chances. About how he cares more that long-time teammate Craig Biggio gets in than him. He talks about when he was a non-prospect in the Red Sox organization and how Houston gave him a shot. And how Ken Caminiti took him under his wing “for good and for bad but mostly for good” once he was traded to the Astros.
But my favorite bit in there is him talking about his move from third base to first base and how he was having trouble with it. And how, one day, during a pitching change in an Astros-Cardinals game, Ozzie Smith gave him some fielding advice while he was standing on first base. Just kind of neat and remarkable.
Good story. And while I’m not holding my breath, here’s hoping a postscript with his Hall of Fame induction can be added tomorrow.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 107
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8