Jan 7, 2014, 12:48 PM EDT
Pittsburgh has re-signed veteran infielder Robert Andino to a minor-league deal with an invitation to spring training.
Andino was traded from the Mariners to the Pirates in July, but spent the final two months of the season at Triple-A. He was a regular for the Orioles in 2011 and 2012, totaling 942 plate appearances while playing mostly second base in place of the injured Brian Roberts, but logged just 85 plate appearances in the majors last year.
He’ll have a tough time cracking the Opening Day roster unless the Pirates keep two utility men, because Clint Barmes is currently slated for that role.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17