Jan 7, 2014, 12:48 PM EDT
Pittsburgh has re-signed veteran infielder Robert Andino to a minor-league deal with an invitation to spring training.
Andino was traded from the Mariners to the Pirates in July, but spent the final two months of the season at Triple-A. He was a regular for the Orioles in 2011 and 2012, totaling 942 plate appearances while playing mostly second base in place of the injured Brian Roberts, but logged just 85 plate appearances in the majors last year.
He’ll have a tough time cracking the Opening Day roster unless the Pirates keep two utility men, because Clint Barmes is currently slated for that role.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 41
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (126)