Jan 7, 2014, 12:48 PM EDT
Pittsburgh has re-signed veteran infielder Robert Andino to a minor-league deal with an invitation to spring training.
Andino was traded from the Mariners to the Pirates in July, but spent the final two months of the season at Triple-A. He was a regular for the Orioles in 2011 and 2012, totaling 942 plate appearances while playing mostly second base in place of the injured Brian Roberts, but logged just 85 plate appearances in the majors last year.
He’ll have a tough time cracking the Opening Day roster unless the Pirates keep two utility men, because Clint Barmes is currently slated for that role.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)