Jan 7, 2014, 6:06 AM EDT
In a world where people keep giving Jeff Francoeur paychecks I don’t suppose anything should surprise us. But this is still surprising:
Indians are very interested in signing OF Bobby Abreu. They have been monitoring him in winter ball and talking about deal with him.
— Tony Lastoria (@TonyIBI) January 7, 2014
Abreu has been hitting the cover off the ball down in Venezuela this winter. But he usually does. He also sat out all of 2013 following a 2012 which showed him to be more or less finished as a useful player. He still has some residual on-base ability — Abreu will be able to fall out of bed and work a walk when he’s 60 — but the power and speed and defense that were once his hallmarks have been gone for some time.
One wonders if this news nugget came out before the Indians signed Francoeur, because it’d be hard to feature the Tribe bringing in both of these guys. Unless of course the plan is to combine them into one player via surgical means. Kind of a golem, if you will, with Abreu’s plate patience and Francoeur’s defense and smile and stuff. Maybe they can also get Mark Reynolds or someone for power. Give it three heads and everything.
Which, to be clear, I strongly advocate.
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 1
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 1
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 16
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 48
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 22
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)