Jan 7, 2014, 6:06 AM EDT
In a world where people keep giving Jeff Francoeur paychecks I don’t suppose anything should surprise us. But this is still surprising:
Indians are very interested in signing OF Bobby Abreu. They have been monitoring him in winter ball and talking about deal with him.
— Tony Lastoria (@TonyIBI) January 7, 2014
Abreu has been hitting the cover off the ball down in Venezuela this winter. But he usually does. He also sat out all of 2013 following a 2012 which showed him to be more or less finished as a useful player. He still has some residual on-base ability — Abreu will be able to fall out of bed and work a walk when he’s 60 — but the power and speed and defense that were once his hallmarks have been gone for some time.
One wonders if this news nugget came out before the Indians signed Francoeur, because it’d be hard to feature the Tribe bringing in both of these guys. Unless of course the plan is to combine them into one player via surgical means. Kind of a golem, if you will, with Abreu’s plate patience and Francoeur’s defense and smile and stuff. Maybe they can also get Mark Reynolds or someone for power. Give it three heads and everything.
Which, to be clear, I strongly advocate.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 2
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 20
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)