Jan 7, 2014, 6:06 AM EDT
In a world where people keep giving Jeff Francoeur paychecks I don’t suppose anything should surprise us. But this is still surprising:
Indians are very interested in signing OF Bobby Abreu. They have been monitoring him in winter ball and talking about deal with him.
— Tony Lastoria (@TonyIBI) January 7, 2014
Abreu has been hitting the cover off the ball down in Venezuela this winter. But he usually does. He also sat out all of 2013 following a 2012 which showed him to be more or less finished as a useful player. He still has some residual on-base ability — Abreu will be able to fall out of bed and work a walk when he’s 60 — but the power and speed and defense that were once his hallmarks have been gone for some time.
One wonders if this news nugget came out before the Indians signed Francoeur, because it’d be hard to feature the Tribe bringing in both of these guys. Unless of course the plan is to combine them into one player via surgical means. Kind of a golem, if you will, with Abreu’s plate patience and Francoeur’s defense and smile and stuff. Maybe they can also get Mark Reynolds or someone for power. Give it three heads and everything.
Which, to be clear, I strongly advocate.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 3
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 32
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 9
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 51
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)