Jan 7, 2014, 6:06 AM EDT
In a world where people keep giving Jeff Francoeur paychecks I don’t suppose anything should surprise us. But this is still surprising:
Indians are very interested in signing OF Bobby Abreu. They have been monitoring him in winter ball and talking about deal with him.
— Tony Lastoria (@TonyIBI) January 7, 2014
Abreu has been hitting the cover off the ball down in Venezuela this winter. But he usually does. He also sat out all of 2013 following a 2012 which showed him to be more or less finished as a useful player. He still has some residual on-base ability — Abreu will be able to fall out of bed and work a walk when he’s 60 — but the power and speed and defense that were once his hallmarks have been gone for some time.
One wonders if this news nugget came out before the Indians signed Francoeur, because it’d be hard to feature the Tribe bringing in both of these guys. Unless of course the plan is to combine them into one player via surgical means. Kind of a golem, if you will, with Abreu’s plate patience and Francoeur’s defense and smile and stuff. Maybe they can also get Mark Reynolds or someone for power. Give it three heads and everything.
Which, to be clear, I strongly advocate.
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 83
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 2
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 149
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 11
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (149)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)