Jan 7, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Wandy Rodriguez started just 12 games last season, shutting things down in June with elbow problems, but Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review reports that the Pirates left-hander has started throwing again and expects to be ready for spring training.
Rodriguez exercised his $13 million player option to remain with the Pirates for 2014, which was an easy decision thanks to the injury.
He was pitching well before going on the disabled list, posting a 3.59 ERA at age 34, and Rodriguez has a 3.66 ERA in 138 total innings since the Pirates acquired him from the Astros in mid-2012.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 33
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 60
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120