Jan 7, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Wandy Rodriguez started just 12 games last season, shutting things down in June with elbow problems, but Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review reports that the Pirates left-hander has started throwing again and expects to be ready for spring training.
Rodriguez exercised his $13 million player option to remain with the Pirates for 2014, which was an easy decision thanks to the injury.
He was pitching well before going on the disabled list, posting a 3.59 ERA at age 34, and Rodriguez has a 3.66 ERA in 138 total innings since the Pirates acquired him from the Astros in mid-2012.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 30
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 62
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 24
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 16
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)