Jan 8, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
It’s Dan LeBatard. And he explains his rationale over at the website today. It’s a pretty good rationale. And, the headline here and picture to the right notwithstanding, LeBatard received no payment for it. He gave it up willingly and freely.
And the ballot that the Deadspin readers submitted — Greg Maddux, Frank Thomas, Tom Glavine, Mike Piazza, Craig Biggio, Edgar Martínez, Jeff Bagwell, Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, and Curt Schilling — is pretty darn good too.
Of course, the BBWAA is not likely to agree that this exercise in consciousness raising was all well and good. They approve of stupid protests of their own members, but not smart protests by their own members with the help of common people like baseball fans. Clearly you see the difference.
Anyway, I just saw the first volley fired at LeBatard. Of course it is passive-aggressive, in that it’s not directed at LeBatard himself even though he’s on Twitter. It also has the added fun of a total lack of self-awareness:
Shame on the santimonious attention seeker who turned his vote over to a website. #sad
— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) January 8, 2014
Jon, hate to break it to you, but you work for a website too. I’m sorry to be the one to have to tell you.
Oh well, go get him, BBWAA. You know you’ve been wanting to.
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 5
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 58
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (248)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)