Jan 8, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
It’s Dan LeBatard. And he explains his rationale over at the website today. It’s a pretty good rationale. And, the headline here and picture to the right notwithstanding, LeBatard received no payment for it. He gave it up willingly and freely.
And the ballot that the Deadspin readers submitted — Greg Maddux, Frank Thomas, Tom Glavine, Mike Piazza, Craig Biggio, Edgar Martínez, Jeff Bagwell, Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, and Curt Schilling — is pretty darn good too.
Of course, the BBWAA is not likely to agree that this exercise in consciousness raising was all well and good. They approve of stupid protests of their own members, but not smart protests by their own members with the help of common people like baseball fans. Clearly you see the difference.
Anyway, I just saw the first volley fired at LeBatard. Of course it is passive-aggressive, in that it’s not directed at LeBatard himself even though he’s on Twitter. It also has the added fun of a total lack of self-awareness:
Shame on the santimonious attention seeker who turned his vote over to a website. #sad
— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) January 8, 2014
Jon, hate to break it to you, but you work for a website too. I’m sorry to be the one to have to tell you.
Oh well, go get him, BBWAA. You know you’ve been wanting to.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)