Jan 8, 2014, 7:03 PM EST
Jim Leyland confirmed today on Detroit Sports 105.1 that he will be a special assistant to Detroit Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski heading into the 2014 season.
“I’m going to do whatever (Dombrowski) wants me to do,” Leyland said to 105.1 FM host Drew Lane on Wednesday afternoon. “It won’t be the grind you go through as a manager, but I’m still going to be pretty active.”
His duties are expected to include a mix of scouting, evaluating and general hand-shaking.
Leyland stepped down as manager after the ALCS and was replaced by Brad Ausmus.
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 51
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24