Jan 8, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
Jim Leyland confirmed today on Detroit Sports 105.1 that he will be a special assistant to Detroit Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski heading into the 2014 season.
“I’m going to do whatever (Dombrowski) wants me to do,” Leyland said to 105.1 FM host Drew Lane on Wednesday afternoon. “It won’t be the grind you go through as a manager, but I’m still going to be pretty active.”
His duties are expected to include a mix of scouting, evaluating and general hand-shaking.
Leyland stepped down as manager after the ALCS and was replaced by Brad Ausmus.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (108)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)