Jim Leyland to serve as special assistant to Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski

Jan 8, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT

jim leyland getty Getty Images

From Brian Manzullo of the Detroit Free Press:

Jim Leyland confirmed today on Detroit Sports 105.1 that he will be a special assistant to Detroit Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski heading into the 2014 season.

“I’m going to do whatever (Dombrowski) wants me to do,” Leyland said to 105.1 FM host Drew Lane on Wednesday afternoon. “It won’t be the grind you go through as a manager, but I’m still going to be pretty active.”

His duties are expected to include a mix of scouting, evaluating and general hand-shaking.

Leyland stepped down as manager after the ALCS and was replaced by Brad Ausmus.

1. js20011041 - Jan 8, 2014 at 7:10 PM

If he doesn’t run the field in a body suit and drag the world series trophy around the parking lot from the back of his car, I’ll have lost all respect for Leyland.

2. zzalapski - Jan 8, 2014 at 7:22 PM

I’m guessing Dombrowski won’t ask him to be in an anti-smoking PSA.

3. billybawl - Jan 8, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Translated: “They’re keeping me on the payroll to continue my health benefits.”

4. dinofrank60 - Jan 8, 2014 at 9:07 PM

I’m surprised it took this long…

5. jarzmel - Jan 8, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Money to burn I guess.

6. hightopandrocket - Jan 8, 2014 at 10:55 PM

That’s Mike Illich all the way, keep the family together…

7. hightopandrocket - Jan 8, 2014 at 10:56 PM

That’s Mike Illich all the way, keep the brain trust together, same as the Wings…

8. historiophiliac - Jan 8, 2014 at 11:29 PM

I hope he forgets himself during a game and marches down from DD’s box onto the field to argue with Joe West.

9. Minoring In Baseball - Jan 9, 2014 at 1:35 AM

He’s pretty much earned a job with baseball, especially the Tigers. I give him credit for stepping down, and letting a younger regime take over. Having him scouting and evaluating can be a good thing. I wonder if this means that his son will be playing in the organization again, too?

10. chetwynnr - Jan 9, 2014 at 7:23 AM

My guess is that Dave wants Jim to teach Brad how to conduct an after-game media interview which, of course, was Jim’s specialty. Effective mumbling with just a hint of food spray is an art not easily mastered.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3674)