Jan 8, 2014, 7:03 PM EST
Jim Leyland confirmed today on Detroit Sports 105.1 that he will be a special assistant to Detroit Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski heading into the 2014 season.
“I’m going to do whatever (Dombrowski) wants me to do,” Leyland said to 105.1 FM host Drew Lane on Wednesday afternoon. “It won’t be the grind you go through as a manager, but I’m still going to be pretty active.”
His duties are expected to include a mix of scouting, evaluating and general hand-shaking.
Leyland stepped down as manager after the ALCS and was replaced by Brad Ausmus.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (90)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)