Jan 8, 2014, 10:16 AM EDT
This is interesting and, thankfully, has nothing to do with the Hall of Fame: Jeff Pearlman sat down and talked with former major leaguer Brian Johnson, who currently serves as a scout with the San Francisco Giants. The entire podcast is here, but Jeff has extensive excerpts from his conversation over at theScore.
Johnson has a lot of interesting things to say about scouting. He also talks a lot about PEDs. And while I take issue with a lot of what he says, it’s interesting simply to hear someone in his position say it. Stuff like how he could tell you, just by watching Jhonny Peralta play, when his PED supply ran out. But then, in the next paragraph, he admits that he’s the guy who signed off on Melky Cabrera for the Giants and that he saw no evidence of PED use, just a guy in shape.
Guess that tells you about the old eye test.
Anyway, I feel like this is the kind of stuff that scouts say among themselves but it’s not often you hear it said publicly, so even if you want to take it with a grain of salt, it’s interesting to hear it all the same.
Oh, and be sure to listen for Jeff Pearlman asking Johnson if he has permission to kick Barry Bonds’ ass. Which, however silly that is, leads to an interesting conversation about Bonds’ personality.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 2
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 51
- Breaking: The Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 98
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 67
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)