Jan 8, 2014, 10:16 AM EDT
This is interesting and, thankfully, has nothing to do with the Hall of Fame: Jeff Pearlman sat down and talked with former major leaguer Brian Johnson, who currently serves as a scout with the San Francisco Giants. The entire podcast is here, but Jeff has extensive excerpts from his conversation over at theScore.
Johnson has a lot of interesting things to say about scouting. He also talks a lot about PEDs. And while I take issue with a lot of what he says, it’s interesting simply to hear someone in his position say it. Stuff like how he could tell you, just by watching Jhonny Peralta play, when his PED supply ran out. But then, in the next paragraph, he admits that he’s the guy who signed off on Melky Cabrera for the Giants and that he saw no evidence of PED use, just a guy in shape.
Guess that tells you about the old eye test.
Anyway, I feel like this is the kind of stuff that scouts say among themselves but it’s not often you hear it said publicly, so even if you want to take it with a grain of salt, it’s interesting to hear it all the same.
Oh, and be sure to listen for Jeff Pearlman asking Johnson if he has permission to kick Barry Bonds’ ass. Which, however silly that is, leads to an interesting conversation about Bonds’ personality.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 9
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 10
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 13
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)