The Dodgers announce some stadium upgrades

Jan 8, 2014, 8:53 AM EDT

dodger stadium getty Getty Images

It’s hard to remember that, just a couple of years ago, there was talk of the Dodgers leaving Dodger Stadium and building a downtown ballpark. I’m guessing most of that was a bluff, but the fact that it even got to the bluffing stage is shocking to me given how beautiful and historic that place is.

Those days are gone, however, and the Dodgers continue to make needed upgrades to their wonderful ballpark. The latest group of upgrades were announced yesterday and are detailed over at MLB.com. Included are changes to the visiting clubhouse, added food options and lounging/bar areas, upgrade of electrical infrastructure and even more trees and greenery beyond the outfield walls.

No one element is going to be terribly noticeable, but these sorts of things are the kinds of upgrades which, if older, now long-dead parks had undertaken as they aged, would probably still be around.  Good to know Dodgers Stadium — somehow now the third oldest park in Major League Baseball — will be around for a long time.

1. 4d3fect - Jan 8, 2014 at 9:22 AM

You might not think it’s so beautiful and historic if you’d ever stood in line for three innings in the top deck waiting for concessions. Or waiting for those hideous restrooms.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jan 8, 2014 at 12:31 PM

4d3, the new foliage is meant to help alleviate your latter concern.

2. Jason @ IIATMS - Jan 8, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Was there for a tour after Christmas and while view and scenery are truly spectactular, the place does show its age. I was struck how tiny and dingy the visitors locker room has been for all these years, so they told us (and showed us) a new visitors locker room was under construction.

I can’t imagine the traffic getting in/out of that place during a game. The arteries are so ridiculously narrow and encroach on residential neighborhoods.

But hey, progress!

• asimonetti88 - Jan 8, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Traffic is usually pretty bad in that part of town even when there isn’t a ballgame, so yeah, the traffic during games is tough.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jan 8, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Actually, it’s bad before and after games when the crowd is big, which is a major reason so many fans show up late and leave early there. Back in the ’70s, when my brother and I used to go regularly, we’d take our gloves and a ball and a frisbee and have fun for awhile after the game as the traffic cleared out.

3. temporarilyexiled - Jan 8, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Are they adding 70 mph speed limit signs in the outfield?

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jan 8, 2014 at 12:37 PM

When the Kings and Ducks play there in a couple of weeks, Puig is going to drive the Zamboni. That will be fun to see!

4. blabidibla - Jan 8, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Of the 23 parks I’ve visited, Dodger Stadium is the worst. A big, cement bowl with poor access, terrible food, and fans more interested in beach balls than a ballgame.

• Steve A - Jan 8, 2014 at 11:34 AM

I respectfully disagree. Of the 19 current parks I’ve visited, it’s easily in the top 4. Yes, the food and drinks are overpriced, but it’s LA. I had no traffic access issues in or out. I was there for a weekend series in 2011. There were definitely people there not so interested in the game, but I find that is true in any stadium.

The open concourse is great and the scenery beyond the outfield is beautiful. I’m not a fan of the lack of a 360 degree concourse, but I understand that ballparks weren’t built that way in the ’60s. I’ve only been to two parks where you didn’t have access to the entire stadium (save the aforementioned bleachers separation), here and US Cellular. I understand the security reasons for it, but that does bring it down a notch.

Overall, though, it is a great place to enjoy a baseball game in the nice SoCal weather.

• jdillydawg - Jan 10, 2014 at 12:02 AM

Nice review. Coming from Seattle and SafeCo, I do miss the 360 concourse. So much could be done to make it better though, I think. The view there is second to none in my opinion and a bar similar to one at the Orioles park would be be pretty sweet!

5. holleywood9 - Jan 8, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Mannyland making a comeback??

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jan 8, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Sorry, but with your moniker, you of all folks should have known it was Mannywood. But you can appeal your 50 game suspension. Or perhaps go to Taiwan.

6. APBA Guy - Jan 8, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Dodger Stadium is a good ballpark where the real star, aside from the team, is the weather. Night games, especially early in the season, in SF or Oakland can be brutal. Even in SD the early season evenings are chilly, but in LA the extra 5 degrees or so and vastly less wind make it perfect for baseball, usually. Plus the view never gets old. Of course, once it warms up in NorCal, AT&T just shines, but I’ve never had a bad experience at Chavez Ravine. And truly, every ballpark has over-priced concessions these days.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3417)