The Phillies get rid of Wheeler and Sarge in the broadcast booth

Jan 8, 2014, 12:53 PM EDT

This is a pretty big deal for our once prominent but now mysteriously dormant Philly Phan readership around these parts:

It wasn’t often that I listened to Wheeler and Sarge — if I was watching the Phillies it was usually because someone else I wanted to see was playing them, so I’d use the opposing team’s broadcast — but they weren’t my favorite broadcasters ever. That said: they were far from the worst. Very far from it. And there are a good number of pretty bad broadcasters out there.

Maybe Philly broadcasters get better. But it’s also possible they get worse. So, if you’re the sort of Phillies fan who is inspired to cheer this news, don’t assume everything is gonna be rosy later.

1. jwbiii - Jan 8, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Two years ago, Fan Graphs did a poll asking fans to rate their TV broadcasting team(s). The Phillies team finished 26th of 31. There are 31 because the Dodgers home announcer is very well liked and their road announcers aren’t, although they may just be suffering from their proximity to Vin Scully.

There have been some changes since then, of course. Rex Hudler and Steve Physioc have replaced Frank White and Ryan Lefebvre for the Royals, Jim DeShaies has moved from the Astros to the Cubs, Bob Brenly from the Cubs to the Diamondbacks, Mark Grace from the Diamondbacks to a hitting coach in the Northwest League after a stint at Sherriff Joe’s Holiday Camp, etc.

The White Sox team finished dead last. All White Sox fans do not love Hawk, or at least not the ones who read Fan Graphs.

• jwbiii - Jan 8, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Reading through these again, one thing really struck me. FG’s Carson Cistulli’s comment on the Nationals broadcasters:

The general sense appears to be that this crew has something like “upside.” Perhaps if the team finished above .500, reader sentiment will change.

18thstreet’s comment on the Nationals broadcasters:

I really dislike the Nationals’ guys on MASN, but I had hoped they’d be better announcers now that the team is good. They didn’t get any better.

• bigkurt6 - Jan 10, 2014 at 10:46 PM

A mattabattacola

2. lifeform - Jan 8, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Obligatory: http://the700level.com/baseball-phillies/who-said-it-sarge-matthews-or-a-child-in-the-att-commercials/

3. mrbaseball2013 - Jan 8, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Can you believe it?
    We won’t have to hear Wheels say “No doubles defense” again.
    Hopefully next winter Ruben Amaro Jr. will be gone!

4. jbfazz1213 - Jan 8, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Even though they weren’t great by any stretch, tough to see them dumped like this.. No Clue who gets the job.but Ben Davis does a nice job as Studio Analyst after Games

5. skipcastaneda - Jan 8, 2014 at 10:09 PM

I heard Harry Kalas didn’t like Chris Wheeler or vice versa. One felt the other was undermining him.

6. raygillin - Jan 9, 2014 at 10:45 AM

I really didn’t have a problem with Sarge Matthews. “Wheels” on the other hand was a jackass. I understand that every team has homers but this guy took the cake. Let us not forget that he was a Harry Kalas hater. In Harry’s later years he would sometimes make a mistake and there was “Wheels” right there to point it out in an effort to undermine him. I believe he’s the one person in this world who didn’t like Harry Kalas. On another note, I hope the writers of this page stop with there anti-philly campaign. Philly has some of the best fans in the world period. I am an avid reader of this page despite what some of the writers say on here about Philadelphia. Imagine that, someone not clumping an entire set of people together with a couple of idiots who talk out of there south side….

7. bigkurt6 - Jan 10, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Did anyone notice the last three were cubs related???

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline